1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 2500 HD suspension

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bowlerdude, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Bowlerdude

Bowlerdude Junior Member

I have a Western Ultra Mount Poly Pro 7.5 plow for my 04 Chevy 2500HD with the Plow prep package. I seem to have a problem with the suspension height being to low. I have seen Timbrens mentioned would these raise the suspension height at all or just stop Suspension sag?

Will I be able to raise the suspension height by just adjusting the torsion bars, or is this a bad idea, I understand I will have to do a Wheel alignment after these adjustments.

Please any advice would be helpful.

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

proper ballast first and for most, then timbrens if needed. But adjusting the torsion bars is completely acceptable and recomended. Just dont raise the truck more than 1.5" or so over stock.

Do a search on a thread I made in the chevy forum titled ratlovers torsion bar adjustment or something like that. it was some time ago but may help.
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

DONT JUST CRANK THE BARS! There is a procedure you need to follow! Trust me! safety first;)
  4. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

The Timbrens are to increase the load carrying capacity. If the front end drops too much when you lift the plow then you might need them.
    On the other hand, if the front end just sits too low all the time then adjusting the torsion bars is the solution.
    My truck (with 85,000 miles before I got it) was sitting on the bump stops. When I climbed under to adjust the bars I found the adjusting bolts weren't even touching the adjusters. I only have mine half done, since I haven't made time to finish adjusting them. You really need to make the adjustment, then drive the truck to settle the suspension, then see if more adjustment is required. The best way to do it is with weight in the cab to simulate the driver and any passengers that will typically be in the truck. The torsion bar system is designed to allow leveling the truck front to back and side to side to compensate for loads, like adding a winch or a snowplow.
  5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

We have never needed to add Timbrens to GMs torsion bar system. 3-5 turns on the ajusting bolts is all we have ever had to do. Have not needed alignments on any truck after ajusting bars, have had them checked though.
    I have foung that the factory shocks do not have enough upward travel on my 2001. Replacement shocks fixed that. Guess they were needed after 100,000 miles anyway...