1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 2500 HD plow questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Seaway25, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

I have an 01 Chevy extended cab short box 2500 HD. I'm new on this site, but I've already learned a lot from it. I bought my truck to plow and tow some boats. I'm doing about 5 driveways and 1 small parking lot. Maybe a few others. They are my properties and a few friends. I have spent the last few hours on here reading old threads, and based on that I think I know what I'm going to get. I just figured I would ask for some extra input. I found a 9 ft fisher MM2 that is about 4 years old and in good condition. It's $2150 including the installation. It's probably more plow than I need but it seems like a good deal. I also have a nice set of aftermarket wheels and tires so I'm getting a set of Firestone winterforce snow tires installed on my stock rims for the winter. What do you think about the price of the plow? And it seems like my truck should be able to handle that size shouldn't it? Thanks in advance.

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It sounds like a good deal to me. Your truck should be able to handle a 9' plow no probablem.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Good price on the plow if it is installed using the proper parts. You will need timberns and the heaviest T bars they make, plus a bunch of ballast. While not the plow I would choose for your truck it is a good price on a solid plow.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It will work but take Basher's advice on the other things to do.

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I third that notiion....I have the same truck...well pretty much, I have the 02 ext. long box. I primarily use a 8 HD and I notice it's presence even with the T bars an Timbrens. I use about 500lbs of sand bags as a ballast, even though it only calls for 400lbs. It levels it out nicely and cuts down on the 4X4 use.

As far as price goes thats on the low side of average around here. Are they using new truck side stuff?

Good Luck and welcome aboard. If it turns out it's too big for what you need it for.....get in touch with me, I will come down and trade you mine.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That is a good price for that plow installed. They are very durable units, too. According to Fisher's website, the current 9 footer is 750 lbs, less than 50 more than the 8 footer. You still want to follow Basher's recommendations for the ballast & timbrens. You may be able to wait on the T-bars, but should probably plan on tracking down a set of XG code bars.

7. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

I'll definitely be using ballast. I'm going to get a set of timbrens too. I'm not sure if anything has been done to the suspension on my truck, but it seems taller than most other 2500's I've seen. I'll have to look at it a little closer.

8. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

Here's a pic of the truck when I bought it and after the new wheels. The tires that were on it when I bought it were shot so I figured I might as well get some wheels at the same time as the new tires. I also like having a second set to put snow tires on so it worked out well.

new wheels.jpg

new truck.jpg

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Before purchasing do a wheel/tire search here on the site. Not so much for brand as sizes, tread types etc. there are hours of reading on the site pertaining to the proper choice of plow tires.

If you have not used the search feature yet give it a shot. Saves waiting for responders and will contain more then you want to know.

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

I would take a good look at the underside, It appears to me that there is already some suspension work done to her.

11. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

I've already spent quite a bit of time searching and reading on the site. So far around 4 or 5 hours today alone. Slow day in the office.

12. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

And before someone asks about the plow mount that's on it - It is an old conventional Fisher that came with the truck. The guy before me fabricated the mount to fit the truck. It's actually one of the old fully hydraulic type plows. It works well but I want a newer electric.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That's cool, lots of "newbies" avoid the dang thing for some reason. I use it all the time.

The question now arises, did they modify the truck in any manner? Do the hydraulics work well? Is it the right size blade in good condition? could it be you are just changing for no reason. The only reason they still don't use the system you have is federal guidelines and they really do not apply to you. Now the new ones are much nicer looking and the controls are much more compact but they do move snow. Does you price include trading in your existing unit?

14. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Here is my truck....2500hd 05 with level kit and 285's.......i will also show you my ballest. The only thing i would be worried about if i where you is the truck temp going up from job to job. I always have to baby my temp..and i have a 7.5 hd

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

15. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

another

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

TLS.....I am surprised you only have a 7.5' on her. We have about the same wheel base and I have problems with my 8' were I am not clearing my tires going around certain corners.

I'd look into that temp thing, I bet it's an easier fix then you think.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I know some of those trucks had problems with fan clutches. It's worth searching for. Keeping the blade down will help tremendously. A nine footer wouldn't be much different for overheating.

18. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Seaway, I agree with the others ballast,timbrens and turn op the torsion bars.

Great looking truck.

Welcome to the site.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Post a few good pics of the front and rear suspension. Should be able to see what if anything was changed to add height.

20. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

I just checked the option list in the glove box. It has VYU which is the plow prep package. I'm not sure exactly what the differences are though. I'll try to get some pics of the suspension up tomorrow.