1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 2500 Gas vs Diesel for plwing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bel-nor, Dec 22, 2011.

1. bel-nor

bel-nor Member

I am considering a Chevy 2500 that may be used to plow snow. My question is, would the diesel be more practical at $6000-$7000 more as compared to the V8 gas engine? Do any of you have (or had) good luck with the1500 4x4.

2. RoesLandscaping

RoesLandscaping Junior Member

Hello, im new to this site, but i have a bit of experience with using a plow on a 1500 and a 2500.gas and diesel. If you are doing small jobs, like a few driveways or a small lot, i would recommend the 1500, keep in mind however, the 1/2 ton p/u is not designed to have a 400+ lb machine on it pushing a few tons of snow. I personally use the 2500 to push snow, mine is a gas, i regret it. if you are planning on keeping the truck, get the duramax. Hope i helped

3. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Whats your potential ROI?

Is it just a plow truck for 10 residentials with 4 storms a year?

Are you going to be working it 18 hrs per storm and have 30 storms per season?

Will it get many miles?

Any trailer towing in the summer, or does it just become a grocery getter?

Only you can really decide if it is worth it, based on your expected usage.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Only thing I could add is fuel mileage. My 454 sucked the gas while plowing. My 7.3 is about 3/4 better. Big questions like what was mentioned, what else are you going to be using it for? Any mechanical background? Gassers are generally a little easier to work on.

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

For windrowing a diesel works the best more weight on the front end
    Gas wont gel up on cold nites

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

The only thing I don't like about the Duramax is the reverse on the Allison, 11mph is about it at 14mph your spinning the motor at about 4,000rpm:realmad:

7. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

I don't think you will find a duramax in that price range. So gas is your best bet for all around usage. And go with the 2500.

8. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I've plowed with the Dmax, and the 6.0, 8.1s, and 5.3s. They all can do the job. Like the others said, it's up to you what you are going to do with it. The duramax is an absolute powerhouse to plow in, but the gassers do a good enough job also. The diesel uses a lot less fuel for sure. Diesel cost is higher, but resale value is higher too usually. Just my random thoughts

9. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I like that small gear, it keeps my guys from blowing reverse out of my trucks like they do on the gassers with the 4L80E transmissions. :nod:

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Only thing I miss about my gasser is the fast warm up time, this diesel takes FOREVER!

11. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I have plowed with most gassers and i prefer the Duramax for the fuel milage, power, weight and of course you cannot beat the Allison. I have never had any tranny issues. The one down fall is when you do get stuck, YOUR STUCK! As long is it will wiggle you can get it out, once all 4 tires spin with no movement your done. The truck weighs 7k lbs, put on the plow, sander full of sand and the rear plow and your pushing 14k lbs. The truck hauls the weight with no issue and still has plenty of power for pushing. Do not even think of using 4-lo, you will tach the engine out doing 2mph.

12. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

I went through the same a year ago. You will not find a GOOD dmax in that price range. If you do find one in the price range it's going to need injectors or headgaskets or both. I worked in a gm dealership for almost 10 yrs and as the dmax gets higher miles these items will need to be repaired for big $. If you stay obs they had problems with injector pumps going bad. Not as expensive as the injectors or head gaskets on a dmax but still not cheap. Yes the 5.7 is known to go through intake gaskets but if updated gaskets were used usually not a problem again. Yes a diesel is going to get better mpg but not having a heated garage I didn't want to deal with gelling issues. I chose to go with a 2000 obs crew cab 3/4 with a 454 gasser. I knew mpg wasn't going to be good but I wasn't buying it for mpg. I was buying it to push a v blade, pull my 19' boat with a 4.3l I/O, carry my 8' truck box camper, and when I need to pull a skidsteer I can. I have got as high as 13 mpg with it on the hwy but around 7.5 mpg plowing. My knowledge of gas engines is better than diesels, so when it breaks I can hopefully fix it my self was the final part of my decesion.

13. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

Love my gassers. Had an 03 GMC Yukon XL Denali with the 6.0, still have it, and a 2011 Silverado 1500 5.3 Ext cab. Thing I love about the gas is when i stomp on it they take right off. This is the first year I am plowing with my own truck. I have driven all fords in the snow a f350 with a 351, 05 f250 6.0 diesel, 08 f550 2wd loaded with salt 6.8 diesel, 98 ram 2500 5.9 gas, The diesels are nice in the snow because of all the power but wasn't practical for me to buy one. I only two a 24' boat that weighs about 6000 about 10 miles each way during the summer, and there wasnt a doubt in my mind that the 5.3 in my new truck couldnt do it. If my Yukon could move that thing doing 80 than the silverado should. Either way gas or diesel they can push snow. People have been using gas engines for plowing since they been around.

14. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You get 7.5mpg with a big block while plowing?:laughing: OkThumbs Up

15. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

I have plowed with a Duramax, 6.0L and 8.1L trucks with nearly identical truck setups. In 4x2, my 6.0L truck lost traction in the rear wheels before I ever ran out of engine power, so that tells me that you will generally run out of tire traction before you run out of engine power. I think a 6.0L will push snow just as well as a Duramax or 8.1L with proper ballast.

16. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

Yes I did get 7.5 mpg last time out average on the tank. But I do drive a good distance between accounts (one is 30 miles one way from any other account. It's a really long story.)

17. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

If you weight down a 6.0 truck to try to push against an 8.1 or a Duramax, it is not a question of if you will be rebuilding the 4L80E underneth the truck, but when you will be rebuilding it.

18. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree and 11 MPH is fast enough anyway in reverse.

19. SMiller

SMiller Member
    from IN

11mph is way to slow to back across a huge parking lot, I would never get anything done, I would get tired of hearing the Duramax screaming as well...

I would take a 6.0 with the 6-speed auto any day.

20. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I have a 4l80 in my 98 diesel truck and never had an issue with it plowing. I have owned it since new and it was my plow truck for ten years. Roads and parking lots with a few driveways. Maintain it and don't hammer it back and forth and you will be good.
    My truck was heavy with the Blizzard 810 and 1000lbs of ballast in the bed.