1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 2016 2500hd advice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by snowplower1, Dec 15, 2015.

1. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

We're buying a new truck this week, regardless that I am a ford guy, my dad the owner wants a chevy so he will have his wishes. However, if some of you chevy guys could tell me a few answers.
    I uploaded the specs it would be much appreciated if you could let me know if there is any reason it is not suitable

How well does the truck handle a plow weighing about 950lbs? I want to put a 9.2 dxt on like i have on my ford. i Believe fgawr is 5200 but i have to check again for sure.

anybody that has one or an equivalent that could let me know there experience let me know thanks

imagejpeg_0.jpg

2. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

All of my trucks are reg cab Chevys. I have a wide out on one and a boss vxt with wings on the other plus a 2yard vbx spreader. We have timbrens up front with hd tie rods and air bags in the rear. The trucks hold the weight just fine you will like how they handle and ride.

I didn't see it on your spec sheet but if his truck will be used a lot as a plow truck it's a smart idea to get the plow prep package.

3. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

I have a '15 crew cab with a 8.6 Fisher XV2 (I think its about the same weight) and it has no issues handling it. I made the mistake of forgetting to bring counter weight when I had it installed and I drove across the state (Westfield to Boston) and other than a little drop in the front end I couldn't tell a difference with the way the truck handled.

Also Plow package is a must, so its good it already has it, only downside is trying to get the wires for the strobe switch.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  4. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Here is a little more detail. The truck is snow plow prepped so your good to go.

Attached Files:

5. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

I have a '15 GMC crewcab gas with the same plow (9'2 DXT) and it handles it fine. With proper ballest/counterweight whatever you wish to call it it sits about level and barely squats the front.

6. snowplower1

cool thanks guys, I think I am gonna go with this truck. The real question is which plow, I have 1 or 2 properties that i have never had the guts to go through the drive through with my 9.2 because it is so narrow but they're not on my normal route but would be for this truck. I actually got stuck once at a property i did a one time for because the guys trucks had almost all broken down and i've never been so frustrated

I may put my plow on and see if it will fit one morning then if it doesnt ill consider if its worth just shoveling out since they're just banks

7. tom18287

tom18287 Member
    from Boston

i have a 2015 3500 HD reg cab SRW, 5600 axle

if you have the snow plow prep. handles plow just fine. if you have the snow plow prep i'm sure it's all set.

8. snowplower1

It has 5200. Im not sure though, They want 37,000 for any 2016. What did you guys pay for yours. I don't know how i feel about it because i paid 29,000 for my 2015 350

9. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

So, you drove all the way across the state with a 900-1,000 lb. plow on, and couldn't tell the difference in the truck??? And a plow package IS NOT a must. There are many, many people on here without plow packages. The package is nice to have, and if you can get one I would. But it's definitely not a must.

10. JustJeff

If you're worried about the width and fitting in at certain places, get the 8'-2" DXT and get a set of wings for the rest of the jobs. If you're not stuck on Boss, you could get a Wideout/XLS with expanding wings.

11. tom18287

tom18287 Member
    from Boston

i paid 43k for mine, but it has a $10k reading aluminum service body on it.

2015 3500 SRW, WT but as loaded at the WT can get. all vinyl (which i was very adamant about)

fords are a little cheaper, but you get SO much more in the chevy. overall a much nicer vehicle. however, my old 2003 road like a car when new. this new truck, not so much.

12. gallihersnow

gallihersnow Senior Member

Try and find a leftover 2015 if you can. GM lowered the warranty on the 2016's.

Yes, your truck (CK25903 with L96) will have the 5200# FGAWR with (VYU) - Snow Plow Prep.

If you move up to a gas (L96) 3500HD, you'll get the 5600# FGAWR. If you go diesel, you get the 6000# FGAWR on both 2500HD and 3500HD.

GM says the truck is good for 900 lbs of plow and 100 lbs of truckside equipment.

http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...ftype=option&lang=1&vehicle=17048&rpoid=27701

13. snowplower1

I have to be honest, I like my 15 f350. It's super comfortable and I have basic EVERYTHING. With Chevy I feel that I'm buying some electronic savvy truck. I don't like any of that crap in my work trucks. If my dad hasn't been close friends with the guy that owns the dealership I wouldn't even be near it at this point. No way I'm paying more because they standard add stuff I don't want

14. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

To each their own opinion.

As far as handling goes, I could not tell a major difference in the truck. Yes it did sag a few inches but it handled the weight just fine IMO.

15. gallihersnow

gallihersnow Senior Member

If the Chevy is a 1WT, it won't have any more electronic stuff than an XL Ford.

$37,000 isn't much of a deal.

I built one online like yours (1WT, 9500 GVWR, 4.10, Plow Prep, Trailering Equip + Brake Controller, and Spray In Bedliner) and the sticker was $38,520.

16. JustJeff

Sorry, but it's not "to each their own". It's misinformation. First you said you could tell no difference, now you say no major difference. Did you happen do drive across any railroad tracks, hit a speed bump, or a pothole? There is a large difference. Not saying your truck (or anybody else's) doesn't handle the plow well when driving, but there's a noticeable difference between with or without a plow on. And having a plow package is not a must. Ask the few hundred people on here who have one without. The statement "must have" is either right or wrong, and it's wrong.

When on here, I (most of us) try to spread good, legitimate information. I've been wrong before, you're not alone. But when you're wrong, people will point that out, so as to stop the spreading of misinformation.

17. snowplower1

Yeah its a terrible deal. He told me the only rebate is the plow upfit. I think he's trying to screw me to be honest. Nobody pays sticker price I feel like. I know it's probably unrealistic but I don't want to pay anything over 31k for it. That's where I feel it's worth it

18. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Well you are not going to buy a GM product then. I used my GM Discount to figure a 3500HD WT with snowplow option to check prices. My price was well over 31K. So good luck.

19. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

I miss the days of 31K price tags!

20. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I can remember when you could buy a 1/2 ton truck for $1,900. No bells a whistles back then. Just a plain Jane with three on the column.