1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevy 1500, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Chevy 1500

Chevy 1500 Member

I am getting a hum noise from the front of my 2003 Chevy 1500. Can you guys give me some possibilities? I get a grinding noise when i turn right. I also just reached under the truck and when it is in 2wd i can not turn the axles in the front. any input would be great.
  2. Chevy 1500

Chevy 1500 Member

CHevy 1500 front end hum

Also how do i check the level of the fluid in the transfer case?
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A hum sound can be caused by several different things. Worn wheel bearing, low fluid level in the front diff or the front diff stuck in the engaged position (at higher road speeds usually) are the most common, but the fact that it also "grinds" when making a right hand turn would lead me to check the wheel bearings first. Especially on a 1/2 ton truck with a plow.

Not being able to turn the axles is normal. The axles are connected to the wheels directly and spin all the time (so does the front drive shaft on an AutoTrak equipped 1/2 ton such as this). But the right side axle is disconnected from the diff until you actually engage the 4X4 via the front axle actuator.

To check the t-case fluid, look on the rear of the T-case, there will be 2 large Allen plugs, one near the bottom and another up about 3 or 4 inches from it. Remove the upper one (you'll need a metric Allen wrench or socket) and see if any fluid comes out (make sure the truck is level to make the test valid). If no fluid come out, stick you finger in the hole and feel how far down below the fill hole the fluid level is. If it's more than a 1/4 in below, it needs some added. If it's never been changed, now would be a good time to drain and re fill it. This is an AutoTrak equipped truck and takes a specific fluid in the T-case that is only available from the dealer DO NOT USE ANY OTHER KIND OF FLUID IN IT!

I'd also check/change the fluid level in the front diff if you've never done it. The fill and drain plugs are on the driver side of the front diff. The fill is just in front of the dr side axle where it enters the diff (will take a 15mm wrench) and the drain is right below the same axle (13mm wrench).
  4. Chevy 1500

Chevy 1500 Member

Latest update

I jacked the truck up and the entire front left tire wobbles. It makes a grinding noise when I spin it as well. I figure the bearings. How hard of a job is it to replace the bearings and what sort of tools will I need and time.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well that way an easy one LOL!

Changing out the hub assembly isn't a bad job..

Pull the caliper and rotor off.
    Remove the nut from the end of the drive axle.. (need a large metric socket)
    Tap on the end of the drive axle with a soft face hammer to free it from the hub splines.
    Remove the through bolts from the backside of the steering knuckle that hold the hub assembly in the knuckle.
    Disconnect the ABS harness at the frame rail and remove the clips holding the harness to the upper control arm.
    Tap around the wheel mounting flange to free the hub unit from the knuckle.
    Some of them get froze in the knuckle pretty good so you may need to spray some penetrating fluid between the hub and the knuckle and work it a bit with the hammer.
    Pull the hub assembly free of the knuckle.

Replace it in the order of removal. (Add a bit of grease on the axle splines before re inserting the hub assembly)

The torque specs on this during re assembly are important. If you don't have access to them, let me know and I'll post them for you.
  6. Chevy 1500

Chevy 1500 Member

I don't know the torque specs for this. Also i take it that i need the whole hub assembly correct?
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct, there is no replaceable wheel bearings, these trucks (as do most late models) use whats refereed to as a "unit bearing". This is the whole wheel mounting flange/wheels bearing/seal/ABS sensor as a sealed assembly. You just pull the whole assembly out and pitch it.

I'll get the torque specs posted for ya...
  8. Chevy 1500

Chevy 1500 Member

thank you

B&B Thanks a whole bunch. I am going to find the tools and try this one myself. I will let you know how i made out. If you don't mind posting thise specs i would appreciate it. i owe you at least a twelve pack, if you are ever in the Buffalo area let me know and i will pay you then. Thanks again.
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's the important torque specs you'll want to follow for your '03 1500:

Hub to knuckle attaching bolts: 133 ftlbs (use locktite)

Axle nut: 155 ftlbs (locktite, takes a 36mm socket)

Caliper mounting bracket: 121 ftlbs

Caliper bolts: 80 ftlbs (Antisieze)

Be there on the 9th for the 12 pack..:D
  10. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

Do you seam to notice it when you turning and on the brake? My 04 is doing the same thing but not all the time(no plow). The same thing happened to my 00 impala and it was in the steering column. Might not be the same but just another thought if waht you are doing know doesn't fix it.
  11. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

my 2002 had a problem in the intermiedate steering shaft. the dealer has a kit to repair it. It's a grease kit I just used wheel bearing grease instead of the grease it comes with.
  12. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

Some of these bearing units do have a core charge on them. Esp. if you go to napa, autozone, etc.
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Some might but not on this application....:)
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  14. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

I totally skipped all these steps......haha....i know i know..my rule of thumb for tq specs is.."TMF"....(tight mother F&*()).......
  15. Chevyboy

Chevyboy Member

Have you did a bearing job before, if you havent id take it to someone that knows what they are doing. Just to be on the safe side, so nothing else goes wrong by not hooking up a part right.
    It might be alittle bit more money to have a garage take care of it but it could safe you big $$$ in the longer run!!!:gunsfiring: