1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chas4x4, Oct 12, 2011.

1. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

Would you put a plow on a 2009 z71 with the 5.3 and 3.73 rears reg. cab short bed would it handle it without a problem?

2. billm

billm Junior Member
    from nj

3. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I have an 06 crew cab, 5.3 and 3.73. No problems so far with a 7.5' Fisher RD. My father in law has a 2010 1500 CC, same stats, with an 8' HD. No problems with that either. I don't think he runs much, if any, ballast. I run about 400lbs.

4. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

5. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

That truck will do your own driveway just fine more than likely. If you're worried about weight, run some timbrens out front and some ballast out back.

6. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

A lot of people use 1/2 ton trucks in our area. I did for several years. You have to size the plow to match the truck, use ballast, and maybe some other mods. I put timbrens up front, put on a higher output alternator, and added dual batteries.

Your truck likely has a tranny cooler, if not, you may want one. Tranny temps are important. Other than that, just work it slow and steady and it will be fine. You won't be breaking records for production, but, that sometimes doesn't matter.

7. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

See my sig.

Trans cooler VERY important. Factory installed trans cooler is located right behind my BOSS plow tower. If you have to install one, place it where the plow tower won't block it. While plowing, I reached 200F trans temp at times.I hated that.

I have to run with the plow 2" above the ground. Keep speeds at no more than 45mph or the engine temp would go up as well. I just upgraded to an 11 Silverado. It has the HD cooling ( larger radiator ).

I didnt need timbrens up front. The truck only settled down 1" with plow in the air. I did add about 500lbs ballast on the very rear. It helped a bunch for traction.

I say if your doing your own drive and maybe a few private drives, you'll be fine. I'm not too sure I would want to do a large commercial lot though.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  8. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

I only plow my driveway and 2 or 3 others so maybe it would be ok.