1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 1500 HD adjustments for V plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by KYFF205, Nov 28, 2009.

1. KYFF205

KYFF205 Junior Member

I have a 2003 Chevy 1500HD and Have a 7 1/2 ft boss v plow. We dont really get to much snow here in kentucky but I need to know if I need to do anything to my truck to better fit the plow?
  2. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

timberns probably and weight in the bed that should keep it somewhat level
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Crank the torsion bars up 4 or 5 turns each and maybe a set of Timbren's. Your probably going to want to put about 500 lbs of ballast in the rear of the bed. The Boss web site might have an exact ballast weight.
  4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

we need pics when you have your blade on
  5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

A 7.6 V isn't that heavy, and a 1500HD is essencially a 2500 anyhow. It should handle it just fine. As stated above a few turns on the bars won't hurt and Timbrens if you feel like spending the $$.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Definately get some ballast in the bed if nothing else.
  7. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Welcome to Plow Site.
    What I did was too first tghten the Torsion Bars, but I would advise to mark them so that you know the starting point that you started from. Then write down or remember how may turns you turned them so that in the summer, you can turn them back for a better ride. The next thing was to measured from the ground to the front wheel well and then raise the plow off the ground and measure again. Now start adding weight right next to the tail gate until the measurment comes up to the original height. I thought about using a level but not all trucks are leval in the first place. I have an 800 lb meyers 8 foot poly and put in about 800 lbs of sand baags. I now use salt in plastice bags as it is in water proof bags. The sand got wet and froze in place. It's important that you put a barrier in place to keep the sand or what ever you use from flying forward and crushing you in the cab if you hit something.

Good Luck
  8. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

this has been talked about in a previous thread, check out the thread under snow dog, if i figure out where the thread is i well post a link
  9. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

tiberons and ballest works the best on my trucks, also when we have to replace the origional tires we usually upgrade to a taller tire to gain a little clearance for the plow frame
  10. on-ice

on-ice Junior Member

I run the same truck with a 2 inch leveling lift in front and 680 lbs ballast as recommened by Fisher plow is a 8.5 xtreme vee Truck seems to handle it good Just have to get some snowussmileyflag