1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 1500 and Fisher 7'6 SS V compatibility.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BOSSMAN21, Jun 22, 2009.

1. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

I was looking into getting a new plow for my truck. I took the boss off and am lookin for something to make some real money with. The straight blade did alright but I could see where the V would come in handy. Just wondering if anyone out there is running this combo and how it handles. Also, I was told by the dealer that he could get me a stainless steel for $5,199 and a mild steel for $4,500 both prices are prices that are installed aswell. Would this be a good price and how would my truck handle this plow?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The 7.5 XV weighs 821 lbs. A 7.5 HD is 630 lbs. That's a pretty substantial increase, about 30%. Dont' forget the majority of the weight is a couple feet in front of your truck, even further ahead of the front axle. So the impact to your wheel bearings, suspension, etc is much more that 200 extra pounds. What style is your truck? Reg cab, shortbed, I might go for it. Extended cab, I would really think it over. Either way, you will probably want Timbrens and / or stronger T-bars. And plenty of ballast behind the rear axle.

As for plowing, I am very happy with my XV. It's nice to be able to break something open that has drifted and not worry about getting pulled off to the side. And scoop rules for cleaning up and stacking.

Let us know what you decide.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Assuming the previous plow wasn't a sport duty...

If the truck side was already setup for a Boss why didn't you simply replace the straight blade with a new 7.6 vee? :confused: Much less $$$ that way than switching brands, and no mods required to switch to the vee.

4. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

I had all of the Boss gear taken out of and off my truck. I hd this done because my dealer screwed me over in some other deals and I will never go back there again. Also my truck is a 5.3L Extented cab short bed with the Z71 suspension. I will be adding the timbrens and giving the T-Bars a good few cranks. The Boss I took off was a 7'6 super duty trip edge which weighed 740#. I used that with no trouble without any weight in the back, no timbrens, and no changes to the Tbars. What do yu think? The dealer for the fisher gave me a firm price on a stainless steel 7'6 which was 5,000 with installation and 150 more for the t-bars to be cranked and timbrens put in. How does this sound?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Dealer support (or lack of) can definitely play a part in what brand you run. It's a shame some dealers don't consider that detail enough. Shame for you too, you could've saved a size-able amount of $$$ by staying with the Boss.

Does the $150 for the Timbrens install and T-bar adjustment also include the actual cost of the Timbrens? If so, then thats a good deal. If not then it's way over priced. Timbren install and a T-bar adjustment can both be done in under an hour.

With the Timbrens and an adjustment on the T-bars the truck will hold the plow ok (with the correct ballast) but it will still be over on the FAWR regardless.

6. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Yes it is with the cost of th timbrens. Also, how much weight should I start with? I was thinking about 700# should do it. What do you think?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

500 lbs is usually enough with an extended cab. You can always add a little more as you go.

8. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Okay 500 it is then, how do you think it will handle? BTW, next year I plan on purchasing a new 2500HD to put this plow on, but I just dont have enough money at this point in time. The dealer said that it would work great if I just used it on my truck for one year and then switched it out. The only think he did tell me is not to drive back and fourth to my camp to much with it hooked on, which is about 23 miles away....lol. Also, wouldnt the V-plow be better on a mall truck since the weight is setting back like 2 feet further in the V position while going from job to job? That is always how I looked at i but that was just my theory. Let me know what you think.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It will handle it "ok" as long as it's used with sanity.

If you may be upgrading to a heavier truck in the near future I think you'll discover at that point that your almost new 7.6" is now undersized, so you'll likely be wishing you would have started with the right truck to begin with.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Because it would be cheaper to buy a new truck then to repair the damage to the front end;)

11. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

hey boss man, whats your front gvrw? i have a 92 1500 and i sprang the front end a 3000 with the boss mount on the front, i could safely run an 8'2 on my truck, just cont was the added weight till i have money to upgrade the fallowing truck the fallowing year! go to a truck scale and weight your front end case its passible you might weight right in the ball park of my truck!

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you look closely at the plow, you'll see the majority of the weight is at the front of the a-frame. The wings are a small portion of the weight. While I've never measured it, I think the pivot point is further ahead on the XV than a straight blade.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Agree, agree

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you're going to buy a new truck next year, I would not put a brand new blade on this truck. This winter you'll be grumbling that you can't take your truck to camp, next year you'll be grumbling that this blade is too small.

I would think this through thoroughly before pulling the trigger. It's too bad you had trouble with your Boss dealer, but given that you plan to buy a bigger, new truck next year, you probably should have run the Boss one more year. I think if you put the 7.5XV on this year, then a new 8.5XV or 9.5XV next year, you are going to lose all the extra money you might make with the XV this year.

I don't know what your financial situation is right now, but I would be trying to figure out a way to buy a 2500 this year. Maybe something a couple years old. Or put a used straight blade on this truck.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:nod::nod::nod:

The 1/2 ton will not handle the plow you want, the 3/4 is more truck then the plow you'll have. What will your "abused" (this is the attitude the buyer will have regardless of how you treated it, snowplow=abused) 150 and used plow be worth next year when you need to trade them both in for the equipment you really need. How much money will you spend supporting the 150 between now and "next" year. If you have to replace the front end steering componets and front axle seals. either carry a plow the truck is designed for or think upgrade.

Trucks will never be cheaper, could you bundle the plow into a truck purchase and have the one monthly payment?

Consider the cost of a new plow, divide that into 12 monthly payments, does the new truck make sense now?

16. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go find a used MM2 7.6 and put it on your truck. Dont spend all that loot on a plow you wont want next year on a 2500. I really dont think the extra time and money you get from a V plow will be worth it for one season

17. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

the GVWR on my truck is 6800#, I dont know what this means but it says that my truck WILL handle the 7'6 Xtreme V on the website. Remember I have the 1500 HD which is more of a truck then those regular light duty trucks.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your correct, I don't believe you understand the number. If it doesn't have 8 lug wheels or a GVWR of 8600 then it isn't a 1500 HD...and uses the same suspension and steering components as any other 1/2 ton truck.

Most 1500 trucks ARE between 6400 and 6800 GVWR btw.

1) Would I run the 7.6 vee on your current truck? Yes.
    2) Would I purchase it if I knew I was planning to purchase a bigger truck in a year? Definitely not.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How many lugs do you have on your wheels? When I ran Fisher's E-match, they show the K1500HD only in crewcab (you said your truck is extended cab), only the 6.0 liter (you said yours is the 5.3), and 8,600 GVWR. They show you can run any plow with the K1500HD, so your dealer wouldn't have been recommending keeping your travel time short with the 7.5XV. They probably would have told you to get an 8.5XV or 9.5XV. The K1500HD is really a 3/4 ton truck. I THINK the difference was LIGHTER springs than the 2500 for a better ride, but the beefy running gear. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong. It's what a "Heavy Half" should be in my opinion. I'm not trying to be a party pooper here, but I think you have the plain old half ton truck. I know it stinks to be in your situation, but Big Dave has the right idea.

B&B types faster than me I guess.....

20. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

So would I be alright running the 7.6 V on my current truk then?