1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy 1 ton question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Dobber, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Dobber

Dobber Junior Member

Hey Bowtie guys,

i was out today and passed by a used car dealership and i saw a 1986 chevy 1 ton 4x4 reg cab long box auto with an auto trans. then engine in it is the 6.2 detroit diesel. i looked at it and ran the vin on carfax, and its a real military truck with a real 28,xxx miles on her. i have a post in the ford forum asking which truck to use as my first pusher, but i was kinda thinking of getting rid of my 2001 f250 70k mines to get this beast. the guy is asking just under 5k for it, but i might be able to talk him down. i was wondering what you experienced guys would think about it. the engine is naturally asperated and i think the tranny is a turbo 400. besides that all i know about detroit diesels is that the 98 we had at the company i worked for was a beast. it was a 3500hd dually 2wd with a 10 foot blade, big dump box and salter, and was VERY heavy. it did everything our simalary equiped 460 fords did ( but they didnt have the dump, just flatbed) and did it better.

i was wondering your opinions on wether this would be a reliable truck, have the power to push snow, what problems i would encounter, and if it would take the abuse that a work truck usually endures. i was also wondering on fuel economy.

i was also thinking that this was a military truck so it was well maintained, and that the camo scheme would be a cool little gimmick for my buisness that i am trying to start.

thank you in advance for all your help

~Joe

2. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

the 6.2 is kinda doggy. although it has a following. there is a good truck site i am part of that has a decent forum dedicated to the 6.2/5l diesels.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

u want truck info on these www.ck5.com

and ya 6.2 is doggy but a tank.

and mill truck will be 4.56 gears and rear axle will be detroit locker for traction.

then th400/208 tcase for drive line.

and the best dana 60 front axle and the corperate 14 bolt full floater rear.

and 5k is kind of high on price . you can get cheeper but up to you.

also check out http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ great guys also. someone might have one there for sale cheeper and local to you also.

next is getting a plow setup for it. its older and might be a little fun to find. but thay are out there.

i have the same basic truck in a civilan version with 4.10 gears and 350 gas. i love it and run a fisher speed caster 9ft blade. wesport

4. Dobber

Dobber Junior Member

hey, any reason for the fisher?

ive only ever used boss and western in any length, and i always liked the bosses.

would that thing get decent fuel econ with that setup?

and yeah, 5k is too high, but i think he is well aware of the fact as well, and also well aware of the fact that almost no one wants a camoflauge truck, at least people who dont appreciate trucks for what they are.IMO of course

~Joe

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That would have a 205 case wouldn't it?

6. sweetk30

if duel rear wheel or ambulance if i recall 100%.

the std m 1ton had np - 208 tcase.

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

that will make a killer plow truck. not fast but enough gear and low end grunt for plowing. bulletproof driveline and easy to work on. hang a 9 footer off the front, get some serious weight in the back and go after it.

8. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Boss does have a mount for the 79-87 full size trucks, can't go wrong with a K30.

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

And I happen to have one for sale.:)By the way,the 6.2 is not a Detroit Diesel and most late 80's 1 tons are not K's but V's.---My 88 for instance is a V-30.

10. sweetk30

11. Joshjeepcj7

Joshjeepcj7 Member

Yeah i think 5K is kinda high i have seen them around hear for 3500 and on ebay. the 6.2
    get good fuel mileage.