1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 1 ton question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by walker-talker, Dec 19, 2001.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker Junior Member
    from midwest

I have an opportuntiy to purchase a 1974 Chevy 1 ton for $450. The motor is trashed, the cab looks like crap, but the hydraulic dump bed is in working condition. Is it possible to put this bed on a newer Chevy 1 ton, say an early 90's model. And for $450, is this a pretty decent deal?

Wet behind the ears
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

walker came from Lawnsite. I told him I thought we could help him here. 75 and some others out there.

I offered that he should measure the frames. That he may have to modify the subframe of the dump unit.
  3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed. See how similar the truck frames are, both in width and contour where they hump up over the axle.

I don't know my newer Chevys that well, but I think that the fab work required should be fairly straightforward. And if the dump box/hoist is in decent shape, the $450 isn't too bad.
  4. DEISL

DEISL Member

not a problem.do you have acces to an overhead crane or a tow truck boom. youll need all new hardware and gas tank relocation.