1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 1 ton dump

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DAZ982500, Mar 6, 2008.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I am looking into this truck it is a 2001 1 ton dump.They want 15k with 62,000 miles what are the pros/cons of this truck.I am not going to get into the details of whether to purchase I just want to know about the truck.I have not driven it and do not have the details of motor size, it is 4 wheel drive.If you need more information on it I will provide as a speak to the owner.I want it for plowing and landscape work.What size blade can I put on it, will it haul stone mulch.Or is it to weak.Is it expensive to repair dump box hydro_Other expenses.
  2. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

I guess depending on engine size 350/305 have intake leaking issues like with almost all other gm products, about a 500$ fix and will last around 80k miles.. Fuel pumps are another common issue. Other than that, a pretty solid truck.. Just basic things, some front end parts here and there.. Dump boxes and hydraulics are probably the least of your worries, if taken care of and installed properly will probably outlast the truck..
  3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

You are asking for a lot with very little to go on.You need to find out the hoist power for the body.No 2 trucks are alike regarding bodies usually.That truck probably weighs in unladen at app.9,000 lbs.Usually,the GVW is 12,000 lbs. so you can haul 3,000lbs. legally.The DOT is cracking down on these small trucks now so be careful.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since it's an '01 it would be the Silverado body style which could only have the 6.0, 8.1 gas, or the D-max for power.

Judging by the price/miles I'm gonna say it's a 6.0 equipped truck.

They are a good truck for dump/plow/landscape use with any engine combo regardless, and will do the job well.
  5. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Never have I seen a 1 ton with a 305 in it. I've seen very few with 350's but to me that is on the lowend for power on a 1 ton.
    All mine have 454's or 7.3 turbo