1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy 1/2 ton

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sprintlawncare, Oct 27, 2003.

1. sprintlawncare

sprintlawncare Junior Member

this has probably been answered before but i need some advice on what i might need to do before installing a new plow. i have a 2002 extended cab Z71 with a 5.3 liter. i've heard the sno-way plows are lighter than the others and i'm thinking about getting one. the question i have is what should i do to prepare my truck for the plow as far as shocks and anything else that might be helpful. i need to get busy on this since the weather is starting to change. thanks for your help.
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I think youd be set just like you are with a snoway, but if you are worried about front end sag, buy a set of Timbrens, they are great, and dont affect the ride when the plow isnt on.

You could also crank the torsion bars, but the timbrens are a better solution.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

John pretty much summed it up.The Timbrens will do the trick,and you shouldn't really need to crank the torsion bars unless you just want to level it out with the plow on.4-6 turns max on the bars if you decide to turn them up.
  4. sprinklerguy

sprinklerguy Junior Member
    from nj

what did you decide on as far as the plow is concerned. I have the same truck 03, and are looking for a plow. I heard bad things about the sno way. I'm looking at the western lsx.
  5. sprintlawncare

sprintlawncare Junior Member

sprinklerguy, i'm going ahead with the snoway. i've heard it's lighter and hopefully will be a little easier on the front end. for me, any brand of new plow is taking a chance since i've never owned one before. hopefully it will be a good decision. i did order the timbrens though. i have yet to install them but i'll get to that soon.
  6. NHSnow

NHSnow Junior Member

Last year I bought a 7.5' SnoWay MD for my Chev 1500. Works well with little sag but am adding Timbrens.

The remote control works well (not hitting my knees getting in the truck as in the old days).

Also, remote control is handy for scaring the crap out of people walking by my truck while parked in the lot at my office building. It has almost become a sport to the guys I work with.
  7. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

i think you have the off road pacage with ht ez71 dont you?if so i dont think you have to anything i have a meyers with a 1500 silverado no timbrens for me im trying to get but im currently laid off.i never had a problem so dips a littleoh well
  8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

SPRINT.........You truck should carry a 8 ft. plow
    just fine. My 97 1500 Z xcab carried a Western
    plow just fine !

BEWARE tho........Warranty may be voided because
    there is no snow plow pkg. avail. on 1/2 ex-cabs.
    So Mr stealer can jamb you up if you have any
    plow related breakage !

I just twist up the torsion bars in the winter for a
    bit more ground clearance...................geo
  9. Gadget

Gadget Junior Member

Same truck as mine - I put in the Timbrens, 130A alternator and 800 CCA battery - no problem with the plow - but at idle with plow on the steering seems real sluggish - takes the idle from 700 rpm down to 3-400. Just a little gas and everything is OK - Never did it b4 plow - makes it a bear to manuever/back into driveways - any ideas??

Great site !! - I have been lurking for months just never got around to joining -

Thanx and 'Think Snow'
  10. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

the reason why it seems slygish when stearing is theres a lot of weight on those front tires mine does it also and i have the plow package
  11. Gadget

Gadget Junior Member

Is there anything that can be done?? It seems like the idle needs to be set up a few hundred rpm's - but with the computer control, I don't know if it's something that I can do.
  12. Gadget

Gadget Junior Member

I knew ballast was important for traction, however I just learned how important it is for weight distribution. I put 480 lbs in a box behind the rear axle and the steering is just fine now !!- even at an idle - The ballast must have shifted some of the plow weight off the front and on to the rear suspension:eek:
  13. Rookieplower

Rookieplower Junior Member

I have 98 z71 1500 4x4 the timbren are great. I added them in about 20min on each side. very easy to install. I have 7.5 myers plow. add the ballast will help the sag in the front...:angel:
  14. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

I own a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500, added a Fisher RD, and a set of Timbrens, no nose dive at all, and it doesn't bottom out when exiting the driveway!:)
  15. GeeMC

GeeMC Member

Same truck here. Just turned up the torsion bars 2 turns. Worked out great!