1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 08 bumper w/MM2 torsion bars cranked

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by johnc2, Jan 1, 2009.

1. johnc2

johnc2 Junior Member
    from RI

Just got an 08 Chevy Duramax, had a MM2 installed and they correctly grooved the bumpers. Took the plow off and then I had the dealer raise the front end 2" by adjusting the torsion bars. Had done this on prior GM trucks to level the front end. This seemed to cause a problem with interference from the front bumper. Had to jack up the plow blade with wooden blocks to compensate for the extra 2" in height since the time I first unhooked the plow, then had to try to raise the jack stand to make it high enough to engage the push plates.

Problably a lot of operator error on my part. Just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience w/this situation, and is there anything I can do to make it easier next time. The plow is still on the truck. Now my front license plate got squashed a bit, but that's not a problem.

Thanks

2. bersh

bersh Senior Member

The next time you take it off it should be fine, as you'll set the jack based on the current height. You'll notice the same thing happens if you have the plow off and you get hit with a couple inches of dense snow, as the plates will be higher than when you dropped the plow. One thing that sometimes works is to tilt the light tower prior to pulling up to it, as that will raise the engagement pins. From there, pull in slow until you bottom out the plate tabs into the pin recess. Tilt the tower back up, then throw the lever, and more times than not the pins will engage (all that sounds way more complicated than it is).

3. johnc2

johnc2 Junior Member
    from RI

Thanks Bersh, as you said, when I drop the plow this time it should set the jack based on the new height. Probably should have cranked the t-bars first, then installed the plow!

johnc2

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Couple things about MM2 You have to learn about plows. They can be the furthest thing from a minute to install sometimes, But here is my method of putting plow on.

1. Unlatch hood (only need to do if you store cables under hood) take out cables. Close hood

2 Push over the front of the plow. ( push on top cross beam and push head over towards plow blade. You will see that jack stand has an angle on the bottom of it. this allows it to teeter a bit. Not allthe way over just sort of bablancing a bit.

3. Pull truck into plow.

4. Go around to front of plow. Make sure its in straight. Depending on surface plow is on. You can either straighten out truck or muscle it a bit. Mine is usually on flat clean cement and I straighten out easy enough, Now stand in front of plow and release handle and push up on head gear. Shake head gear back and forth to get pins to drop in.

5 Connect 3 cables

6 lift jack up and lock in handle

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Basically the same for me, except I drive the truck into the plow until the headgear starts to fold over. If I am crooked, sometimes I really push hard. Leave in drive, set the park brake. Get out and push the handle most of the way up. One good shove on the headgear and the pins snap right in.

6. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

Hm I have a 8.5 ezv on my 08 2500. Vortec not dura. I never cranked my bars....Did it help?

7. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Leave in Drive?

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, I know.........The parking brake is set though. It seems to keep the truck from rolling back at all, which makes mounting easier.

9. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

put it in park and put the e-brake on. Don't take your foot off the brake till the e-brake is set... it shouldn't move. If it does, e-brake needs adjustment.

10. johnc2

johnc2 Junior Member
    from RI

Yes cranking the t-bars does level off the truck so the front end doesn't drop so much from the weight of the plow. It does make the ride bouncy though, so you give up a little on the ride but the truck looks better w/the front end even w/the back. My 97 GMC had a snow foil plus cutting edge and the 8' plows back then had more metal so the front end would really drop until the t-bars were cranked. Never had that problem w/ my 01 Dodge cummins due to the different front ends on the Dodge

11. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Mine has green keys......everytime I take it off my truck suspension comes up a little, it doesn't line up perfect you'll have push your headgear ahead a little next time to compensate for the height difference.

12. s_melchi

s_melchi Senior Member

Put on a leveling kit. They are inexpensive and you don't get all the wear and tear from cranking up your torsion bars. Cranking up those torsion bars is very hard on the truck. The leveling kit does the same thing except you keep the stock ride and you don't have all the sprung weight on your torsion bars.

We have been doing more leveling kits than timbrens when installing plows the last couple years. The guys can add much bigger wheels and tires in the off season if you put on a leveling kit so it has dual purpose.

Readylift and Truxxx both make good kits. Gives you about 2-3 inches of lift on the front end.

13. johnc2

johnc2 Junior Member
    from RI

Thanks for the info, I will try a leveling kit and put the t-bars back to normal.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think these leveling kits are a crock, in terms of being easier on your truck or not affecting ride quality. All they do is change the clock position of the end of the bar in the key. How is that any different than tightening the screw? I do see how they could give you more lift than standard keys, however.

15. s_melchi

s_melchi Senior Member

I install truck accessories and lift kits for a living. Trust me they are not a crock as you say. They work as advertised and are very easy on your pocket book and on your truck. The biggest advantage is ride quality. They don't affect the OEM ride of the truck. If you crank up the torsion bars it rides like crap in the front end. And all that banging affects the overall durability of the front end.

Do some research they work? We have installed probably 50 kits in the last two years. Every one that we installed was very happy.

Here is a super duty we did before and after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Total cost after install and realignment. $400 Plus look at the wheels and tires we was able to run after installing the leveling kit.

16. GUSMACDADDY

GUSMACDADDY Junior Member
    from Midwest

I am also wondering why they do not add extra torsion. I have read about the keys and see they are supposed to be better but can you explain any more. The new keys crank the torsion bar a lot tighter (unless I had them turned wrong). I can see why it will give it more lift but it still will put more tension on bars??? The only thing I could see is maybe with the adjustment screw not cranked all the way it allows for the key to move.???. Do the front CV joints stay level?? I broke my 2 jaw puller trying to get new keys in so couldn't finish, need to get the tool! Any help or better understanding would be great.

17. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Either that leveling kit is too much in the front, or that Ford really struggles when carrying 4 tires in the back. Rims and tires do look better though.

I also agree the leveling kit is much better for the truck than cranking up the tbars though. And yes, cost effective as well.

18. s_melchi

s_melchi Senior Member

It does make the truck sit just a tad nose high. But you would be amazed how much four tires and wheels weigh. I bet close to 75 pounds a piece.