1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevrolet Avalanche

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TJH13, Dec 15, 2007.

1. TJH13

TJH13 Junior Member

Please advise. I need to do a couple residential driveways (150-200 ft.) in Upstate NY. Considering a Chevy Avalanche with a 7 1/2 ft plow. Need a crew cab and the wife likes it better than Silverado crew. Supposedly they both have same frame. Can/should I plow with an Avalanche?

2. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

is it a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?? I've seen them around. There is a guy where im form that has a 3/4 ton with a ultramount 8ft. and one i saw at home depot had a fisher 8ft.
  3. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

their has been a couple on the boards, you would be fine with a light weight plow, not sure what the bumper is like though, may require more trimming than normal to fit the mount.
  4. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

Avalanche is 1/2 ton. Same frame as a 1500 I believe.
  5. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

does it have the same front end as the 1500. My friends have coiled over shocks in the back and front and his can't handle any weight like my 1500 crew cab silverado can.
  6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

7.5' Fishers are on them ALL the time, and it looks like they do pretty well.
  7. big bird

big bird Senior Member

a guy has one with a 7 ft fisher on it and he hates it the truck now :gunsfiring::gunsfiring:
  8. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

If it is a GMT-800 then there IS a 3/4 ton and the 1/2 ton. the GMT-900's there is no 3/4 ton.
  9. saber7

saber7 Junior Member

I just put a used 7.5 on my 04 1/2 ton avalanche. and it pushes like a bear ,best of both world if you ask me .The only problem I am having is getting the low beam plow light to work.
  10. TJH13

TJH13 Junior Member

Thanks For Feedback

I appreciate all the feedback. The model I am looking at is the 2003 half ton version of the Avalanche.

Any recommendations on a plow and what should I expect to pay?

Are fiberglass plows a better option (weight)?
  11. rico

rico Member

I have an 02 with cladding. I just post a pix of it under 05 Avalanche in the Chevy thread.