1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cheve dealer told me i cant get a snow prep package on a diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bchlawns, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Hey guys,
    I live in Ohio and checked around to a few Cheve dealers recently. They both told me that Cheve wont put a snow plow prep package on a diesel truck. They said that the front end could snap very easily and some other things so they dont. Plus if i buy a diesel and put a plow on it that deletes the warranty totally. I dont understnad this becasue i know many guys that plow with diesels. Is this true, can i get some advice on what to do. The other option would just be get a 2500HD 6.0 L V8 and that would be great, but i kinda made up my mind to get a diesel and now they are telling me i cant
    Thanks

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

First off they must prove what ever you did or didnt do caused the failured. They cant void your total warantee. If I put nitrous on my truck they wont beable to deny me warantee covereage if my radio dies even if my motor is a melted blob.

The only thing they may be able to give you grief about is if you buy a truck without plow prep and you have front end problems but they will still have problems fighting you.

Some cab configurations wont allow plow prep and the diesel.

The frame snapping is the bigggest bunch of crap i have ever heard! I have a 03 2500HD reg cab and I run a 9'6" fisher V blade(the biggest blade fisher recomends you carying) and it carys the blade fine and hasnt snapped! They are so FOS it aint even funny!

Alot of warantee work and hassle or lack there of comes down to the specific dealer and if they will go to bat for you. I talked to my dealer extensively and they have been great to work with. Before i bought my truck i told em I wanted to plow and asked as long as I run a blade that the plow manufacture recomends if i would be covered, they told me I can run one a bit bigger and it wont be any prob. I also brought my truck in for some work and they comented how good my 5" exhaust sounded and they liked the looks of my oversized tires. So people say thier dealer told em if they get exhaust they will void the whole warantee. Finding a dealer that will work with you and has a good service dept is the most important thing with buying a truck IMO. They all sell for about the same price but I would still pay a bit more to be taken care of. Heck they stuck me in a brand new loaded loaner instead of a pos rental when i brought my truck in for an oil change. Shop for a dealer/service dept and then shop for a truck:)

Any particular questions about the duramaxes let me know

3. ratlover

from IL

You loking for reg cab or what?

4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I agree with the above post.

5. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

I am looking at a Cheve 2500 HD extended cab 8ft bed 4x4 Diesel
    Thanks for the input i thought they might be full of it

6. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

as ratlover said, cab configuation. The front axles are all rated at the same weight capacity. An extended cab with an 8' box moves the weight more over the front axle. Also the weight of passangers is carryed more on the front than cargo would be in the bed. I think you can get plow prep with a reg cab.
    Just my opinion but an extend cab with 8' box is a big truck to plow with, hope you have lots of turning room.

7. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I have a 3500 4x4 (6x6) with dump body and a snow plow bought from dealer. You need to find a Truck dealer and not a car dealership

8. dirtyriffs

dirtyriffs Junior Member
    from ohio

9. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

regular and extra-cabs are available with plow prep,but a good dealer will fix it any way.

10. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

FSUPERDUTY,
    Thank you for proving my question to me and all the Chev. dealers. I will let them know they dont know **** about trucks and options. One question for you, What kind of snow tires are on your truck now in the pic or aren't they snow plowing tires or what do u recommend. What is the price for 4 of them? Some guys I know recommend M+S Coopers is that a good snow plowing tire?
    Thanks
    Bchlawns

11. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

FSUPERDUTY,
    I am now trying to debate on if i need or want to get a diesel and allison transmision. What do you find that the diesel is more better other than the 6.0 L V8. That 6.0 has some power and i know alot of guys that run a 6.0 L V8. Also i hear you can get just the allison trany in the 6.0 L V8 is that correct and would that be good?
    Thanks
    Bchlawns

12. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

The Allison is only available with the Duramax or the 8.1L gas. Primary advantages for diesel (any) are torque, trailering/heavily loaded performance (due to torque), maintenance/longevity (arguable), and increased fuel efficiency (may not pay for itself though).

13. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for the info WFD44,
    Would u recomend the diesel over the gas 6.0 L V8. I do not do to much plowing as of right now, but i think i may in the near future. Like i said i know a lot of guys that say the 6.0 L gas V8 is plenty to plow about anything. Would this be the best way for me to go with the gas 6/0 L V8
    Thank
    Bchlawns

14. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

BCH......The dealer is not fooling you. SOME GM diesels cannot be
    ordered with VYU plow prep.
    I had to go with a 3/4 because plow prep. was not avail. on a 01
    1/2 1500 excab.

And yes these guys are correct. It all depends on the dealer you
    work with. Some don't care, some do as you found out 1st hand.

YES......They can deny ANY plowing related breakage and/or void
    your entire warranty if your truck is NOT VYU plow prep. equipped.
    No matter what anybody sez......Moss-Magnison Act or not !
    Its like fighting city hall !
    I went thru this on my 97 1500 x-cab NO plow prep. when I smoked the driveshaft ! I got lucky and went to another dealer
    and luckly they fixed it under warranty !

Now I know better....Good luck on your choice ...But be wary !
    ............geo

15. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I think the 6.0 is plenty for a plow truck. A friend of mine has to 2500 hd's with 6.0's running 8'6" fisher straight blades and I think his 1 ton dump is a 6.0 gas job too (with 9'6" ez-v). We have a 2500 HD 6.0 in the fire department. It lugs around 1500 lbs of water, tank and equipment and still has plenty of power and manages a little off road action too.

Now, I have been accused of being cheap at times, but the payback time for the upcharge to diesel ($6,000-$7,000 including transmission) is not likely to "pay for itself" in fuel savings in the short term. If you expect to keep it for a long, long, looooonnng time and/or haul HEAVY trailers (bobcats etc. not mow trailers) get a Diesel. Otherwise save your cash buy gas.

As someone else mentioned, plow prep may not be available for certain model/engine combinations. I know Ford in particular does not offer plow prep or recommend a plow on certain extended and crew cab Diesel Super Duties. It is OK according to Ford on a regular cab Diesel or any cab with gas. This is because the addition of a plow puts the front axle over the GAWR with the heavier Diesel engine.

16. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for the info. wfd44. I think i have decided i am going to go with a Chev. 2500 HD 8 ft bed, 4x4 6.0 L V8.
    Bchlawns

17. ratlover

from IL

They cant void your entire warantee. They cant even attempt to get snooty about it. They may say something to that effect but if you stick to your guns they will quickly fold. If its something that is questionable and may have been caused by the plow then they may fight a bit more and you may have to get pissy. Chevy still has to obey the law.

A 6.0 will have more than enough power to do the job.

I believe that most say it takes 80k in fuel savings to pay for itself? The harder you work the truck the more the gap will widen though and a diesel will really start to shine. A diesel will have better resale but not quite the heafty price of admission. I bought the diesel because I drive alot of miles so it will pay for itself fuel wise and I like the added power and the ease at getting more power. Take a look at dieselplace.com I run a 90hp tune on a daily baisis(the biggest the stock allision will take long term IMO) so that puts me at 390hp and 870# of torque with a 500$ edge juice module.

18. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

RAT..........I can't believe ya bro........Its been posted here and elsewhere about dealer/manuf. denying or voiding warranty
    coverage for plow rigs, exaust systems, lift kits, chips, etc, etc....
    Also most manuf. denying warranty work for cars imported from
    Canada to be resold in the USA.
    I live along the US-Canada border and it happens a lot !

It happened to ME on my 97 no plow prep rig !

Like I said "Its like fighting city hall"...............geo

19. ratlover

from IL

Depending on what it is it may be "like fighting city hall" and may be a royal PITA that some people would just like to avoid. But it is a law that says what ever you do or dont do(matinence) has to be proved to have caused the failure. Other wise they cant deny you.....well they could deny you and then you are stuck fighting it. My mother works for a dealership and I was thinking of getting an econo box to keep the miles off my truck and she was telling me the same thing she tell the customers....you have to bring it into the dealership for its such and such mile service to keep the warranty, bla bla bla. BS I told her! Even the employees are ignorant to the laws sometimes......

I think we do agree though, it may be "like fighting city hall" and they can deny your waranty coverage because you bought a blue car if they want. But it may be against the law and you can fight it and will will, it just may be a big headache.

If you can show that you dont exceed the FAWR with the plow and all the components that a plow prep truck has is on your truck(like cooler and such) and all the other components are the same on a plow prep vrs non plow prep then you can fight it.

With that said, I still made plow prep a requirement on my truck when i was searching even though it added nothing more than the blinky light switch, just for decreasing my chance of getting hassled.

20. ratlover

from IL

oh...and like i said, most of it boils down to the dealer. And you may want to get what ever in writing so its not a, my salseman said it would be fine.....