1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chev throws alternator belts

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TrailK10, Feb 9, 2004.

1. TrailK10

TrailK10 Member
    from NH

On my 84 chevy it seems to wanna throw off alternator belts every once in awhile. The belt is kept tight but never too tight and some times squeaks I have had this problem since i had the truck I can't figure out if maybe one of the pulleys is warped or bent or the alternator bracket spaced wrong any ideas or help would be appreciated thanks
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Sounds like the alt. bracket might be spaced wrong. I've had that problem before with power steering belts coming off and I corrected it by putting washers behind the bracket where it bolts to the block.:waving:
  3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I would tend to think something crooked. Not just the alt, check everything.....Rob
  4. maximus

maximus Junior Member
    from iowa

I have an 82 and have had this same problem before. Take your top bracket off and inspect it. I found that where the bracket mounts to the engine or where the alternator bolts to the bracket will sometimes crack. When you rev the engine the alternator will actually twist slightly making the belt loose and causing it to squeal or even jump the pulley. I fought mine for a couple weeks till I took it completely off and found a crack that was covered by the head of the bolt. Hope this helps.
  5. nachoschevs

nachoschevs Member

I had the same problem with my '82. It was either the bent damper pully or the bent damper it self. Never trust AutoZone "New" crankshafts. Little did we know the end was bent just enough to give us problems. It is a real long story about it, but it also had a bent pully as well. Lots of trouble it was.
  6. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

My harmonic balancer went, it sounds similar, i have a 93.
  7. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

Also, once a V-belt has been flipped and/or tossed, it usually needs replacement.

They sort of "take a twist" and even with perfectly aligned pullies, they won't stay on.

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Had the same prob as Maximus on my 3.8 V6 powered S15 (same accessories and brackets as V8), found the crack after complete removal... it was actually cracked in two places and when I unbolted it a piece fell out.

Check alignment and correct if necessary with washers....

I'm also assuming the rpm range is reasonable, racers often throw belts at high rpm but thats different... their solution is a deeper grooved pulley but that seems like overkill here.. lol

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

If the belt looks sunk into the pully go up to the next thickness belt. GM was motivated in 85 to go to a flat belt because this was a common prolem on the Chevy V8.