1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chev,Ford,or Dodge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JMS, May 18, 2010.

1. JMS

JMS Member

OK I'm going to open a can of worms here probably, but here we go.

For the 2010-2011 season I am going to purchase a new 2011 diesel 1 ton.

I have looked at both the 2010 dodge and 2010 f-350, both are nice trucks, I found the dodge was a smoother ride than the ford.

Now for 2011 both ford and Chev have redesigned their frames and engines or both.

In the specs all three are very close. I am usualy a GM guy, but I do like all three and would purchase any one of them. So price and options maybe the ultimate decider.

So the question is I'm not sure which one, the dodge is the only one of the current list of new trucks I have been able to test drive, because the Chev isn't out yet and the fords are just coming out now.

So any experience good or bad, but keep in mind No body has worked with either the new 2011 ford or Chev yet so be nice please. Now for you dodge guys you are the only ones who could give a good opinion of the 2010 dodge 3500, so pls do.

Just so everyone is up to speed of the exact specs and equipment mounted are going to be here you go:

1 ton crew cab, diesel 4x4 auto
    Short box
    fisher xls blade or blizzard PP
    v-box salter
    Ebling 16' rear plow:yow!:

OK

Thanks for your input!!

John

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd say 2011 GM. I was waiting to see the 2011's and give them a year to get everything straight and probably get a 2012 dmax 3500hd srw in the ec/lb flavor but ended up with an 06 2500hd instead. The new redesigned frames look really nice and should suit those who plow well.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

No buy the ford they make the best plow trucks!
    :popcorn:

4. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

It appears that GM has bumped up towing and payload numbers today.

DETROIT – Chevrolet and GMC announced today that the new 2011 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra heavy-duty pickups have increased towing and payload ratings to 21,700 pounds of towing and 6,635 pounds of payload. The new figures were achieved through ongoing development and testing, making the Silverado and Sierra the most capable and powerful heavy-duty pickups in the segment.

According to Rick Spina, GM Full-size Truck global vehicle line executive, the increased ratings are a result of exceeding the original performance targets for the Silverado HD:

“Our focus has consistently been on delivering customers the most capable heavy-duty trucks in the market. The first set of capability tests confirmed that the team had exceeded the payload and towing targets by a significant margin. Ongoing testing demonstrated a clear opportunity to increase the true capabilities of these trucks. Even pulling a combined weight of nearly 15 tons seems easy behind the wheel of a 2011 Silverado HD 3500 with the proven Duramax Diesel.”

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

No buy the ford they make the best plow trucks! And get the diesel too.
    :popcorn:

6. PPS. inc

PPS. inc Member
    from Earth

Dodge has the weakest frame and also has the death wobble while towing any kinda weight. I would only consider the bowtie or the blue oval. I have had good luck with the fords. They have always made a heavy duty work truck that was made to work. Can't same the same for the GMs. Good luck.

7. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I own Fords and chevys I personally love the F550's this size truck fits us very well but the 6.0 and 6.4 diesels engines that ford puts in them are junk we have gone thru headgaskets, turbos, every tube in and out of the turbos twice etc etc. Now for the chevy's the d max is much more reliable diesel engine. The problem we have is that chevy wont seem to make a heavy enough truck for our needs without going to a larger frame unit which doesnt work for us as far as getting into places. If chevy would build something comparable to the F550 with the dmax in it I would buy 2 tomorrow. If you dont need something the size and payload of a 550 then I would buy chevy hands down.

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats hilarious....You do realize Ford uses basically the same front end setup as the Dodge and has death wobble problems as well. As far as frame strength, GM has been at the back of the pack for awhile- why do you think they changed the entire frame for 2011?

9. JMS

JMS Member

I guess I should of asked that the simple people keep their comments to them selves, for the rest of you thank you for the great input and experiences, please keep them coming. I can't wait to see the new GM set-up.

TTYL

John

10. plowguy43

Drive all 3 and decide that way. They are all great trucks that will handle whatever you throw at them. Obviously Ford's new diesel is untested, but being built inhouse may turn out to be a winner, plus they have an awesome transmission. The Duramax is stout as well, the Allison is great, and they finally have a frame that'll hold a plow/sander without weakpoints. If you want to consider it a weak point- they have IFS which shouldn't really matter. The Dodge is leaps and bounds ahead of the previous years, doesn't use UREA to meet emissions, is lighter than the Ford, but only comes in Crew Cab and Mega Cab (shouldn't matter in your case). The 68RFE is a good tranny as well, much better than the old 48RE's.

11. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

my neighbor has his own pretty big construction/landscaping/ snow plowing company and he has all fords and dodges. He started out with the dodge and thats the only reason he still has it. He has all diesels and he said the cummins is nice, but the rest of the truck doesnt nearly live up to the engine. He has had both and will never own any more dodge trucks. He said the fords have easily been twice as reliable.. Now i cannot account for the 2011's, but this is just an overveiw of comparing the three big brands.

Overall i would go with ford or chevy, i have heard a lot of good about the chevy dmax engines and just chevy trucks in general.

12. JMS

JMS Member

I agree the Cummings is one of the best diesel engines and the rest of the dodge used to not last to long, but I do believe they have totally redone the 09 and up, any one running one of the new ones this past year? how are they? I test drove a 2010 dodge 3500 diesel crew SB/SW SLT the other day, and what a nice ride, I would love to try one in the snow though, I also tried a 2010 F350 in the same configuration, and I found that it rode like you where driving a 1 ton, very stiff, still nice truck to drive.

13. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

yeah dodge may have completely redone the truck, but theyve had the reputation for how long? and how mnay other times has dodge "completely redesigned" the truck and it still had that reputation? What i mean is; 2009 is not the first time they have redesigned.

14. JMS

JMS Member

True, you have a good point.

15. plowguy43

Jguck25- I bet your neighbor has a 94-02 model cummins, each redesign has improved reliability. This current design is the best yet. The 3rd gen-03-09 has proven to be a very reliable and rugged truck.

16. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

From a chevy 1500 to a 1 ton.

Thats going to be a huge jump... ontop the xls vs a straight.. then the ebling and a salter, i was going to say have fun seeing to back up, but with you already having a cap on the truck im sure your are use to it.

Thats going to be one large machine.

Personally I wouldn't run the salter, I have an ebling and I find it hard enough with my tonneau cover on and tailgate, infact next season it will all come off.

17. JMS

JMS Member

last year was the first year plowing for myself, I have 12 yrs exp plowing for others, so over the years I have used all different sizes and makes, so going to the 1 ton won't be to bad, I am used to backing with my mirrors, I'm used to driving ti-axle dumps and fire trucks so that will help too. I am running the salter in that truck with everything else so I can minimize the extra trucks I have to have, other than the new 1 ton and the 1500 being used to pull a trailer with the sidewalk equipment and as a back-up plow, everything else will be large tractors with blowers and loaders with pushers, and maybe a few subs with trucks. I find with the residential market, the tractor with inverted blower is the way to go, and having it equipped with a loader it can be versatile enough for the large commercial lots for pushing and removal, and it is less capital cost to snow lease a bunch of tractors for the 5 months than own a bunch of trucks with plows, especially when it is a nightmare trying to get summer work for the equipment, I tryied to get into commercial grass maintenance this summer, but you almost have to do it for nothing to compete.

18. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

you are correct, it is a 2002 model

19. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

with the way the us $ has been I would really look into used 2007 or higher... save ALOT of money

There are canadian dealers that are bringing trucks in from US dealers they have made partnerships with ect for business. Ive seen 2007 dodge 2500 6.7 diesels 4x4 quad 100k kms for $25 000 canadian.

the 1500 as a backup is a great idea. I try to make everything completly redundant.

any plow I have will go on any truck. every truck has a sander harness. each sander can go on any truck. i even have it that every key chain has every key for every truck on it. people say i do this only cause i drive only dodges..:laughing: if i drove a ford this wouldnt happen. still it seems to work well for me.

20. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

You better buy a chevy cause aint no other truck gonna handle a V-box with the ebling on there... See signature :drinkup: