1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chev 6.5 turbo diesel won't shut off!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by northernsweeper, Aug 9, 2005.

1. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Any of you guys ever have a 6.5 turbo diesel that won't quit running? I tried pulling the pink wire on the injector pump,no luck. I finally got it to die when I blocked the air intake. I started it back up and same thing.When I shut off the ignition,my volt gauge and tach go to 0, but the truck keeps right on running strong. The only way to shut it off is to block the air. Anyone have this problem? The truck is a 93 k3500

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's called a run away Diesel. If you can't shut off the fuel, shut off the air. We were told in firefighter training to shoot a Co2 extinguisher into the intake to shut them off,works every time,does no damage.

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Our older fire trucks(2001 and older have manual butterfly vales on the intakes to use as an emergency shut down. Our 4 new Sutphens(2003s) have none. The Sutphen rep told us to tilt the cab and throw a turnout coat over the fresh air intake.
    Dumping CO2 into the air intake is a good way to toast a turbo.

4. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I finally found a good use for my yellow book phone book.It shuts that turbo down right now. For anyone else that may find themselves with this problem.The problem was a broken spring on the injector pump cylinoid. Three screws to take the injector pump cover off.Less than 100.00 to replace the cylinoid.I'm good to go. Local Chevy garage was no help, in fact the first words out of their mouths were...could be the turbo. Ya I bet it could at 3,000.00+..Thanks again everyone! :waving: