1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chev 4x4 problem?!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ACS, Nov 9, 2008.

1. ACS

ACS Member

Hey guys well I tryed out my four wheel drive today and it seems to be something wrong. When I engage it whole moving slow it seems to grind but not really , its like its binding up and whining.
    Even when I stoped to put it in and I start driving in 4 high it starts to whine . Im thinking some kind of bearing . Or maybe my CV because I new there was a rip in the CV boot so maybe rusting out ?

any suggestions thanks

2. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

cant tell ya what the whining is however, when cv joints go bad what you will hear is a clicking when turning sharp, not whining.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is this on your '02 2500HD in your sig? If so, better start with checking the fluid level in the T-case. Well known for running out of oil (pump rub) and destroying bearings...among other things.

4. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

Mybuddy's did this same thing, it was his front diff. he found a used one for about 700, when we took it out we drained it and not even a 1/2 quart of fluid in it and there were never any leaks, it had 19k on the truck, so maybe a factory f*** up. his was 2004 2500HD

5. rockwood330

rockwood330 Junior Member
    from ohio

how do u go about doing this wit out draining it to see how much u get out .... (no dip stick in the t case )

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Remove the fill plug and stick your finder in the hole. If you don't find fluid right at the threads it needs fluid ASAP. Doesn't take much of a low fluid level to wipe one of these T-cases out.

7. rockwood330

from ohio

whats the round bout location on the t case for the plug ... and if it is low what fluid (oil) do u recommend ?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

On the rear side facing the back of the truck, driver side. #22 in the pic...

As to what to add there were several fluids GM used since the inception of these T-case...but for your '03 it should have Dexron lll ATF in it. Check the color of the fluid, if it's red its ATF. If it's blue then you'll need to head over to the dealer and pick up some AutoTrak ll fluid. Or just drain whatever is in there and use a good aftermarket synthetic ATF for MTL fluid.

108751125.gif

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  9. rockwood330

from ohio

now thats what i call through ... what about oil ? if it is low do u recommend draining it and refilling it wit new oil or just topping it off ?

10. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

drain it and add what the local dealer says to add. Only go to Napa or advance auto and get the fluid. Buy one more quart than it calls for unless you have a suction pump to get it all in there. The placement of plug will not allow a complete empty pour.

11. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

My 01 2500 HD looks like it is red should I use ATF or switch to something else..?????????

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Red in an '01 denotes Dexron lll ATF...

I would. Far better fluids for that T-case out there than ATF now. :nod:

13. RichG53

I know in a previous post you said that MTF was ok to use, Isn't that a a little to thick..I do want to change mine but I'm getting a little confused on what to ?????use..

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Manual Trans Lubricant is a specific fluid designed for late model vehicles Rich. It's highly refined and not thick in viscosity. I believe your thinking of regular old 80W-90 wt gear oil...two completely different things.

Any good quality brand of aftermarket synthetic manual trans lube (Amsoil, Red Line, Royal Purple, etc) is far better than regular old ATF and will help prevent many issues these T-cases such as yours are known for. Even synthetic ATF is far better than regular old dino ATF.

15. mcginner

mcginner Junior Member

The transfer case in newer Chev Pick-up truck 99+ requires ATF if the 4wd is a stick shift. If it is a push button it take a special transfer case fluid that is blue.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That only pertains to the '99-up 1/2 tons and 3/4 ton non HD Silverados with the NVG 246 Auto Track T-case.

17. mcginner

mcginner Junior Member

I maybe WRONG. I just looked up on NAPA-FIX for the type of fluid for that transfer case and it said to use GM Part number 12378508 for the NVG 236/246.
    If you have the NVG 149/261/263 us GM Part number 88861800 or GLS which is gear oil and I have never seen gear oil in a transfer case but I maybe wrong.

Your best bet is to call GM and give them you VIN#

18. RichG53

B B Where ca I find That newer MTF.. ?????

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your NAPA fluid spec is definitly incorrect. GM hasn't used a T-case that requires gear oil in 18 years. And you denfinitly DON'T use it in a late model chain driven T-case. ;) The 12378508 is the AutoTrak fluid...and yes its for the NVG's that have an auto 4X4 position. Which would be the 246's in the fullsize trucks.

Rich you can run any of these..You'll see that the second two are just synthetic Dexron compatable ATF..which is also fine...but shoot for the MTL first.

http://www.royalpurple.com/manual-transmission-fluid.html

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?productID=50&subCategoryID=18&categoryID=8