1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chev 2500hd 8.1l

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Brando55, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Brando55

Brando55 Member

i was looking at a 2005 chevy 2500hd with the 8.1 gas engine today. the truck has 120000kms. i was wondering if anyone has plowed with one of these befor and if so how does it do in the snow.

2. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I own 2 2007 GMC's with the 8.1, i love plowing with mine, so much low end power. you just cant go fast in reverse because its geared so low the the rpm.s get up there quick.

3. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

I have one too plenty of power I think the back up speed is plenty fast

4. ETMegabyte

ETMegabyte Member

Heh. I just bought a 2003 GMC 2500HD with the 8.1...

Reverse is pretty torquey (is that a word?) and "engine braking" is pretty prominent in it, especially in reverse...

I can't WAIT for the snow! I really wanna know how this truck's gonna do...

5. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

My buddy has one and likes it. He is talking about trading it in though as the mileage is KILLING him as he drives a good distance too and from work. Only thing he seems not to like about it is the mileage and the oil consumption. He has to top it off about a quart every 1000 miles... There are fixes for that though I have heard. All in all, very powerful truck. If the price is right. DO IT