1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cherokee suspension

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Cherokee, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee Member

I need to up my front end after installing a snoway 6.8 mt plow.

Others have stated that timbrens ride too hard with jeeps - others suggest installing lift coil springs to front.

Question: If I put lift coils on front for plow and air shocks on back to level when plow off - will that equalize everyting or is this not a good idea. Any advice welcomed.

Thanks,
    Cherokee

98 Jeep Cherokee Classic with 6.8 Mt snoway plow

2. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Either get air shocks (eaiest to install) or air bags (air ride in JC Whitney). You do not need the lift springs. Everytime you remove the plow you need to reduce air pressure to lower hack down and restore comfortable ride.

3. Cherokee

Cherokee Member

air bags jeep

JC Whitney cuts off Jeep at 1994 for air bags- mine is a 98 - haven't been able to find front air shocks either - do you know if air bags for 94 Jeep will fit on 98 - or where to get front air shocks?

Thanks,
    Cherokee

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Cherokee, I PM'd this to you as well, I figured I'd post it for reference later.

Use the air bags from a 97-06 Wrangler, you'll need a 3/4" drill bit to make a hole in the center of the spring perch, a reciprocating saw to cut off the 'cup' for the bump stop, a tap and a 2.5-3 inch fender washer for support of the upper cushion.

The upcountry lift springs, Carquest HD springs or some 93-98 V8 Grand Cherokee front springs.

From what I hear also rear air shocks from an 85 Thunderbird work for the front of the Wranglers, Cherokees use the same mounting so I don't see a reason they wouldn't work there as well.

5. Cherokee

Cherokee Member

Thanks FesterW for the info,

...as it turned out - I ordered airlift air bags for front - got the wrong size - ( airlift determined size based on spring dimensions) - anyway - I now went for the upcountry springs - ( 75.00 at advanced auto) just had them installed - will pick up jeep tomorrow and see how they stack up.

Question: can I use those wrong sized front airlift bags for back rather than return them?

If not - is there a good rear air shock that will equalize the level of truck? I imagine my jeep will now be riding high in front with new u.c. springs up front..or are there other options for rear suspension?

Thanks for all your help,
    Cherokee

6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

No on the bags the rears are a different design than the front, I would return them and get the correct bags for the rear because the upper shock bolts on the XJ's can be a real PITA to do. Basically the upper bolts will snap off and you'll have to figure out a way to either weld in some new studs or find a way to fish new bolts or nuts into the rail to be able to remount some shocks.

Only other option would be to get a HD rear springs setup from Quadratec, but that can be problematic as well.

7. Cherokee

Cherokee Member

Jeep Suspension

The upcountry springs up front did the job - plow sits nicely - ( were they G. Cherokee springs that you had recommended?)

Rear is riding a little low - will 2" lift shackles do the trick for back? ( my budget is stretching and rear airbags are around 200.00 - shackles are 40.00)

8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

They both do the same thing so close enough.:D

The shackles are a temporary solution, once you put them on the rear springs will start to sag even worse. The XJ's rear leafs are weak in the first place and shackles will just make the problem worse. The airbags while being more expensive will allow you to bring it back up to the stock ride height or a little higher.

9. cherokeeman

cherokeeman Member

i have a 96 cherokee with a 7 foot plow been plowing with my jeep for years i installed a 4 inch skyjacker lift to my cherokee have to admit it rides rough but its perfect for plowing you wont need any air lifts or counter weights just turn your key and go its that simple

10. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Yes, but if you jack it up 4 inches you'll have to modify the mount to get the a-frame back to level. Not saying it's not an option but there are downsides to it as well.

11. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

Look into OME suspensions, Old Man Emu. They are small lift suspension systems that will get you maybe 2-3" of lift and usually have a higher spring rate to accomodate heavier bumpers and such. But these systems are pretty pricey but very high quality. Another option is check out ebay or some Jeep forums for front springs from a cherokee with the up-country suspension package, they have just a slightly higher spring rate and will get you an inch of lift, then go with a full length add a leaf in the rear and some nice shocks... You shouldn't need to modify your plow with these idea's

I run no name brand 4.5" coils on my Comanche and I don't feel the need for any air shocks or anything else. the higher spring rate of the coils hand the plow just fine. As far as modifying the mount some times its easier to modify the a-frame especially on an older plow. Raising up the mounting pins on the A frame isn't that big of a deal, a few pieces of 1/4" angle iron and someone that knows how to weld. This is what I did to a friends plow to put on a lifted CJ5. And this is what i'm going to do to my Meyer setup when I lift the Comanche more this summer.

I'd say its probably not an option for you with your snoway though... but modifing the mount shouldn't be a big deal.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  12. xrdirthead

xrdirthead Member

FesterW gave me some tips (that I have now lost) on air bags for the front and rear of my 2001 Cherokee.
    The fronts work great but I have a leaking rear air bag now.

13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I sent you an email with what I thought was the link, let me know if you didn't get it. I had the opposite problem, one of the front bags is leaking. Not really an issue now as the Jeep is my brothers now and was taken out of plow service after 4 years still no unibody or suspension issues 1 U-joint, cracked exhaust manifold and a set of front brakes. I think that makes the XJ a worthy plow vehicle.

14. xrdirthead

xrdirthead Member

I bought the airbags you suggested and you also wrote out in detail what was going to need to be done to get them to work in the 2001 Cherokee. It would be great if you could send that info along again.
    Thanks,
    Ed

15. xrdirthead

xrdirthead Member

I had the local mechanic install them for me.

16. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I have the Air Lift brand Air bags on the rear and they are great, I may be selling them as I do not need the extra help in the rear as I purchased a full size truck for lawn/snow business. They are like new just installed fall time for new trailer I got.

17. 89MJComanche

89MJComanche Member

I can't believe how much BS you find on XJ Cherokee's on the internet.

First off. AIRBAGS SUCK!!

You can pick up a cheap set of coils and AAL's from companies like ROUGH COUNTRY that will work just fine on your XJ to prop it up for you and still give you good road manners. You can pick those parts up for $300 (including 4 new shocks) and install them in a few hours with just simple hand tools. A mechanic would charge about $200 plus the cost of an alignment to do this.

Other expensive options like ACOS (Adjustable Coil Over Spacers) or AirBags and things are just a waste of money IMHO. ACOS is real nice, and if your XJ was brand new I'd say go for it... but you gotta realize that these are 9 years old, 26,000 of them were just clunkered, so there is going to be tons of cheap parts and tons of old XJ's kept on the road by those parts for the next many years... There is an XJ right by me that is great for sale for $500... I'd just get a PLOW BEATER XJ and keep your daily driver for daily driving. That is a better investment of $500 than some crappy airbag system.

18. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  19. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Who's paying $500? The Airlift bags are $80 and I ran them for 3 years with no problems.

20. 89MJComanche

89MJComanche Member

$80 each times 4 = $320 plus a compressor system to air them up and down $250... and if you abuse the crap out of your rig and really do alot of plowing you will only get 1 winter out of them.