1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cherokee & SnoWay ??

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by scottL, Aug 1, 2009.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I'd like to get a Cherokee and have a sno-way on it. Looking for a 26 series 6.8 or 7.6 - or ST / MT series.

First off I know many will say this is too big and suggest the 22 series. I just think having the extra roll height is important. Also, I like that the Cherokee has 4 doors and can fit in tighter spaces. I'm shying away from the Wrangler mainly because I like the foot print of the Cherokee better.

Here's my issue.....

1) What year Cherokee's should I look for? I'm not looking at a new vehicle year so keep in mind something much older.

2) What is the sno-way model numbers I'd have to ask for when I'm calling around?

When I called my dealer they said the 22, 26 and ST, MT series are all discontinued and there is not many laying around.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Biggest issue you'll have is finding the correct mount more than likely you'll have to find one used and it won't be easy.

ST 7'6" would be a good match IMO the MT and 26 series are too heavy for an XJ. I had an old 6'8" DX series plow on a 98 Cherokee and to be honest the 18" moldboard height really isn't a problem since they roll the snow very well.

As it is you'll want to add heavier springs or airbags to the front and a transmission cooler. A 3 core radiator wouldn't be a terrible investment either as it will get hot.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The Mt/24 will work but I suggest you run a Poly wearedge. Lightens the rig up considerably.
  4. scottL

Both great pieces of info!! I very much appreciate it.

I'm a little confused on the 22 vs. the MT or ST. Which do I focus in on? Is the difference between the MT and ST really just height? ( ST = 18, MT = 24 )

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

At this point the only mount available is the MT/ST Snoway never made a 22 series mount.

There are a lot of differences between an ST and a MT. The ST was designed for the littlest of vehicles while the MT was capable of use on a 1/2 ton pick up.The truck is capable of damaging the ST unit if used improperly. The MT is a much tougher plow and could probably hold up against everything the jeep could throw at it. If I was installing an MT I'd use a ploy wear edge to get the weight down.

The limiting factor in most plowing operations is the operator and the way they use the equipment. I have a neighbor who clears his drive and walks with an OLD 12hp Sears tractor with a blade, he's been doing it for decades:nod . He starts when there is about an inch and then stays on top of it, in big storms I think he only shuts down to refuel:D He could run a ST and be very productive and never break a thing. Never in a hurry, thinks before he acts, makes deliberate actions and doesn't ask more of the equipment then it is designed for.

Then there are guys who could twist a D5 track loader into a pretzel parking in the lot. They need at least an MT, then they will destroy the truck.
  6. scottL

That's a great explanation! MT it is.

I have that email into you - basher.