1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cherokee Problem

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by JeepPlow18, Dec 2, 2006.

1. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

It was no ordinary day when I started my 1989 cherokee on Thursday. It turned over and then it idaled very low and shook a little and then stalled. But the amasing thing was that the next day I take the plow off and get it ready for the tow and then I try again to start it up with the plow disconected and it has no problem:dizzy: . Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Mike

2. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Have you tried to hook the plow back up to the truck?

If it does the same thing again I would look for a short some where in the plow harness.
    I was going to suggest bad gas or water in the distributer. :confused:

But the way you describe it, I would say their is a big power draw on the electrical system.

4. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

I did hook up again that same day but with the car already started and it had no problem no shorts when it was started al least. I was busy these past days but I see what you are saying. That is the same thing that interests me dont turn the truck on and hook up and then try and start it up. I will try and do this over the next day or two. Thanks SnoFarmer:salute:

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Let Us know what happens???

Something caused that to happen.. hopefully it's nothing big!!

6. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

It sounds like you have an ideal air control motor that is starting to stick and not adjust when necessary

7. MLLC

MLLC Member
    from MA

our toyota corrolla did that when it sat for a month, shut it off, and back on again, and it runs fine.

8. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Yea I will let you guys know what happens when I hook up again. I just havent had the time. Thanks guys.:salute:

9. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

OK I finally did it I didnt start the car this time hooked up and then started it and it was fine. Something must have been lose or something but it is good for now incase of a surprise snow storm NOT in 55 temps it wont:angry: :realmad: . Definitly getting it looked at soon.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Well thats good.
    Be sure to give it a good going over before it snows, if:confused:

I've had them stumble along as you start them.
    Then I turn it off and it restarted just fine....

11. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Just did it again this morning definetly getting it looked at tommoro!:dizzy: :dizzy:

12. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Did you ever get this fixed? I had that problem with my Jeep Cherokee. All the lines on the top of the engine running from the airbox to the valve cover were bad and the valve inside was shot. Some days it would start fine others it would only start with the pedal to the floor.

13. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

REALLY!!! Bryan, I did not get it fixed yet. It is in the shop waiting in line to get worked on. Thank you for your advise this will aid the mechanics very nicely.:salute: :drinkup:

14. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Did ya get that fixed yet? What was the problem in the end?

15. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Almost fixed!

It will be done in a day or two I will let you guys know what it was when I get it back.

16. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Bump......

17. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

I just stoped in at the garage and it has been there for two weeks and they still cant fix it. They said that it was running fine and they know what im talking about but its not doing it long enough for them to know where it is coming from.:dizzy:

18. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

I think I would try another garage!!

19. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Here's a test, pop the air box open and see if your air filter is soaked with oil. That will tell you right away if the valve I was talking about before is bad.

20. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

You are good that is exaclty what is happened. the filter is half soaked with oil. I better look for another garage.:confused: