1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cherokee Owners, need your advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plowlikehell, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

Well I tool my 91 Cherokee for a ride this weekend with the plow attached to make sure everything is working fine. Everything went real well, but the temp gauge was a little higher then normal around town 30-40 mph. Well once I jumped on a 55mph road the temp gauged climbed about 230 deg and wasnt dropping. The only time I got some relief was at a light. The radiator was replaced last year, and the cooling system is working fine.

I was hoping to hear from others on where they position the plow. Higher or lower to gain the most airflow for the radiator. The plow is a ST-78 with a e-47 pump.

Thanks in advance for your input :drinkup:
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

That model has engine driven and electric fans. Are they both working properly?
  3. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

Yes, both are working fine.
  4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Cherokee with a 7' curtis. There was a problem of overheating without the plow that i think I have fixed. I don't drive it much as it is my brothers. I plowed two drives with it last storm, the fastest i went with the plow was 45 MPH without a problem. I would say lower the plow as much as you can and see if this gets more air to the radiator. I have never driven 55 MPH with it, maybe I will try it sometime. Technically Just stay under 45 MPH to begin with.
  5. Tarkus

This is one case that may actually benift from a thicker radiator cores being that plows adds a lot of drag and weight to that cherokee compared to what it adds to a fullsized truck and it greatly increases HP requirement and cooling load overall.
  6. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

40-45 I only gain about 10 deg, and I can live with that.

Ill try your sugestion. Thanks for the tip!
    :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:
  7. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

You might be right because the rad is very long, but not very tall at all. So if the grille is covered, the whole rad is covered. Im going to try a lower setting and see what happens. If that doesnt work, ill look for wider core radiator.

Thanks for your input!
    :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:
  8. Tarkus

A thicker core, not wider. Radiator will be same size except in core thickness (you may have a 2 row or tube core, look for a 3 tube or row unit)
  9. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

Sorry, thats what I ment.... :)
  10. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

any way to check if those electric fans were coming on?
    maybe try hitting the a/c button to get the fan to come on if its set up that way?

my cherokee, although older, originally came with a 6cyl and a 2 row radiator, for god only knows what reason the 8cyl actually has a different radiator support so I couldnt use the v-8 3 row radiator.

anywho- I ended up getting mine recored to a 3 row for cheaper then the v-8 radiator was anyhow, a re-core shouldnt be that much money as long as you can find a radiator shop that actually works on radiators and your truck doesnt have the crappy plastic tanks.
  11. Tarkus

Nice tip, not to many recore anymore but it is a very viable solution when possible! :waving:
  12. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

Don't know if you want to rip into your engine compartment again, but you could try putting in a lower temperature thermostat.
  13. Tarkus

That does not always work because as you lower temp you reduce radiator effeceincy too and some cars actually run hotter yet with one if they were having heating problems to begin with.
  14. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

Originally Posted by DJDarknez
    Don't know if you want to rip into your engine compartment again, but you could try putting in a lower temperature thermostat.

Doing this does not allow the coolant to stay in the rad. long enough to be cooled, it may may still be warm or even hot as it re-enters the engine block hence the raising temps.
  15. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

1997 + Cherokees use a 10 blade electric fan that flows 2x as much air. Direct mechanical swap, they do use more current and will sometimes blow the factory fuse. You could add a relay to control the fan from the stock wiring and also add a switch in the cab to turn the relay on or off when you want additional cooling.
  16. LADDER286

LADDER286 Junior Member

I have a 92 with 150,00 on it . It heats up only on the highway and a little when my accounts are close together. I just open the window and crank the defroster ,that usually does the trick. when going from 1 job to another i lower the blade to let cool air hit the radiator.. Ive never hit the red-zone..
  17. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

I wouldnt bother replacing the fans unless its overheating at other times, such as sitting in traffic. Above 20 or 30 MPH the fans dont do much. The fact that you say as you drive slower, it runs cooler tells me its not a fan issue. Its that big low pressure area between the plow and grill thats the problem and at highway speeds, no fan will overcome that.
    I lower thermostat wont help there either. It may take longer but it will still heat up.
    You could try a thicker radiator so the fluid has more opportunity to cool. You say you replaced the radiator. If its a factory replacement, its probably has a little single core if you dont have a tow or off road package. You can get an all metal 3 core or a 2 core with larger tubes for about $200. Its a direct bolt in.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  18. festerw

festerw Senior Member

You could also try a deflector on the plow that seems to help my truck stay a little cooler.
  19. Tarkus

Just remember that as engine temp increase so does tranny unless you have a aux cooler and then it climbs a bit slower and tranny temps are a bigger concern than engine most of the time.
  20. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

Thanks again for all the good suggestions :drinkup:

Someone talked about a deflector. Who sells them?

I wouldnt mind trying that first since the rad is only a year old.