1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cherokee or s-10 pickup

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Cherokee, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee Member

I was just about to put a Snoway plow on my Cherokee when I found an older s-10 pickup (1988 2.5 v-6) with a Meyers plow in great condition for less than it would cost me to put a plow on my jeep.

any suggestions? Is the s-10 with an older Meyers much inferior to the Cherokee with a newer Snoway plow.

I will be plowing small - tight driveways.

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

how much price difference?

3. Cherokee

Cherokee Member

cherokee or s-10 price difference

I can get a used snoway installed for 2500.00 onto my cherokee and I can buy a 1988 s-10 pickup with a 6.5' meyers for about 2200.00 ( the s-10 has a 2.5 litre and is in excellent shape with no rust )

Is the snoway downpressure that much better than no down pressure with the meyers?

Also the meyers on the s-10 is a metal plow and the snow way for the jeep a poly.

Is the Jeep better for tight spots?

Is the 2.5 litre in the chevy a dog?

Lots of questions...aprreciate any advice.

Cherokee

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

You know what problems or not your XJ has, I would be apprehensive about an (almost) 20 year old truck with questionable service history and how hard it has been plowed.

5. Cherokee

Cherokee Member

xj accessories

Thanks for the advice Festerw re: cherokee or s-10. I do know my 98 Cherokee Classic and it's tight and doesn't need a thing - except a plow.

You mentioned that you have a full air lift suspension on your xj. Do you recommend air lift in order to carry the weight of the plow?

Firestone installs Air Bags? Are they any good?

Is your Snoway an ST or MT series? Poly or Steel? My Snoway dealer has a 6'8" Poly available used - not sure if it is an MT or ST. Is the MT too heavy for the Cherokee?

Cherokee

6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I have an old DX series with the poly skin, pretty much the same thing as the ST series. The MT is probably a little heavy, but would probably be fine.

If I had the suspension to do again I'd probably do the Airlift bags in the back and probably some Upcountry lift springs (Advance Auto part #CC782) for the front since I'm having problems with the front bags leaking at the connections.

7. the_experience

the_experience Member

I've always been curious about the plows on XJ's. It just seems to me that a unibody rig wouldn't be well suited to that operation, but clearly it works.

I would avoid that S-10. The 2.5 4 banger is a good engine, but it's a 4 cylinder. Did you possibly mean the 2.8 V-6? If so it really is a dog...a dog backed by a questionable tranny and t-case. The price you listed could get you more truck with a plow, atleast in my area.

Knowing what your XJ has been through and how it has been maintained is a huge advantage, as was pointed out before. I'd go that route.

8. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

The money you would be saving on the S-10 would not justify what you would be throwing out the window paying for insurance on a second vehicle. Just my .02