1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cherokee or Bronco?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Cherokee, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee Member

1st Post Newbie,

What to do?

Will be moving to upstate NY - Glens Falls - ( near Lake George)

* Plan on plowing small parking lots - i.e. Banks - Deli's etc.

* Can my 1998 Jeep Cherokee handle this?
    ( New Western Plow costs 3800.00)

* Other Option - have opportunity to buy a 1990ish Ford Broncho ( the bigger one) with plow for 1900.00 - truck was used to clear car dealership parking lot for last 6 years - has not been on road in a while - don't know what kind of work it needs- they say 'just an alternator.'..i.e.not currently running.

* my Jeep is tight with new front - end - radiator - other stuff - regularly used.

* Opinions? Go with Jeep or Broncho to plow in upstate NY.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

For up state NY,
    A better choice for commercial lots would be a 3/4 ton or bigger.
    Not that the other two can't plow.
    The 3/4 ton would be better suited for the task of plowing lots.

3. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Snofarmer is right. But for easy to plow small places, and tight spots the cherokee is really good in my book. I plowed last year with a 89' Jeep Cherokee and it was amazing in tight spots. But for bigger lots a 3/4 ton like snofarmer said. Hope this helps. Mike

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

JeepPlow18 it right .
    We had a Jeep yj with the 4ho and a snow-way plow.
    For tight spots their very maneuverable.
    The draw back is there so light.
    So, if the snow is heavy and you have to push it any distance then a heaver vehicle will work better for you.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If the vehicle just set there doing nothing unless it was moving snow it probably needs...everything. RUN AWAY unless you are a mechanic who intends to rebuild it from the ground up to make it a reliable snowplow vehicle. Having rebuild a few vehicle I think you could buy a new one cheaper

6. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Snofarmer you took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to say the only drawback is they are light especially for pushing heavy wet snow. haha:rolleyes: I remember last year with the last storm that we had the eight inches of ice, slush crud and then i go to plow and im trying really hard to push it and I did but all four tires were spinning constantly lol:dizzy: :cry:

7. Cherokee

Cherokee Member

Not to Cherokee

Ok gentlemen,

You talked me out of destroying my Cherokee...

Next option - My wife's 1993 GMC Suburban 4x4 1500 - it's still not a 3/4 ton - will it work?

Or - I can buy an old Bronco- full sized - with plow - cheap?

I appreciate the advice.

Cherokee

8. snow problem

snow problem Senior Member

I would not count out the jeep so fast, considering the other options you listed. I have a 99 cherokee with a 6.5 Meyer and it plows great if you keep up with the storm. As stated above a large truck would be better, I also have a 2500 hd with a western for the real heavy stuff. Rather then spend the money on a junk I would say give the jeep a try.

9. Cherokee

Cherokee Member

reconsidering

thanks - I am re-considering - given the comparables