1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cherokee Mounts?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by crazyskier537, Feb 15, 2011.

1. crazyskier537

crazyskier537 Senior Member
    from NE IL

Hey guys,

I am planning on getting myself a cherokee as a first car, and was hoping I could put a plow onto it to make doing my residentials and one commercial a bit easier. I a jeep guy, but never really worked on any cars yet and most likely have alot to learn.

So, my question is-
    Why do none of the plow manufacturers other than snowbear show any mounts for xj's on their sites? I was looking through the websites of boss, western, fisher, snoway, and one more I forgot the name of, and noone has any mounting options or even compatibility for the 1999 or 00 cherokees. I don't want to fabricate my own, and I need a reliable plow that will last. Can anyone point me in the direction of a website that sells these mounts?

Thanks, and jeep on guys!wesport
    Tim

2. fireboy5722

fireboy5722 Senior Member

meyer has the set up for the cherokee:mechanic:

3. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

4. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

OMG rusty, I had that same plow (Western SUV) and it started rusting at only two years old. Why do Meyer plows seem to hold their paint so much better? $2,000 is way too much for that plow.

I would look into a Meyer 7' for the XJ Cherokee.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

To answer your question
    the Cherokee is now 11 years old, they wont get many sales for plows to fit an 11 year old car. that is why they no longer list it. they may have plows for 11 year old F250 but they sell enough of them to make it worth while to make, inventory, list, have parts ...

6. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Skier - check ebay and craigslist for cherokee plow mounts, in many cases you can get an older mount and use a newer plow.

7. redrunner

redrunner Junior Member
    from NW Iowa

I made my own for my 89 out of some 1/4 plate I got off the scrap pile at the local steel supply place. Then welded 2x2 1/4 wall tube made for a receiver hitch to the plate. The plate is welded to the front sub-frame. The tube is about 15 inches long. I then put a piece of 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 square tube between the 1/4 plates from frame to frame. I welded it in place and put some bracing on the back of the tube and cut them the same length as the 1/4 plate on the sub-frame. Cut and welded on some mounts for the plow 1/2 thick 3 by 3 with 5/8 dia. hole for the lower plow pins. My A frame slides into the 2 inch side tube and my plow mounts to the 2 1/2 with pins. Works great. I got about 100 in the entire A frame and mount process. The biggest advantage is it sits the entire package right up under the stock bumper of the jeep. In the off season I pull the A frame (only 2 pins) drop the plow (only 2 pins) and the jeep is back to stock. I wired in a new 7 wire plug the all electrical go threw except the plow motor. This then sits in front of the radiator during the off season. I plan on putting in heavy duty plugs for the plow motor so I don't have to undo and nuts or bolts to remove the A frame this spring.

You will have to beef up the front springs to put a plow on the cherokee. I put spring from a Grand Cherokee with a V8 on mine with some air shocks to carry the weight. I have a older cable western on it.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

9. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

NICE! I made mine two, since the whole set-up came off a TJ Wrangler (and there was no Suburbanite (light duty) mount made for the XJ, only the newer Liberty).

Here is my mount, held on by the 3 steering box bolts, 6 bumper bolts, 4 sway bar bolts, and two 5/8" diameter bolts through the factory holes in the uni-body.

[​IMG]

10. bigred76

bigred76 Junior Member

Cherokee Mount

I just installed a snoway Model 22 on a 1990 cherokee with a 3" lift. I was able to find a used Western Mount on Ebay, and then bought some scrap steel. I copied the design of a Snoway Mount, and fabricated it out of 2" Square stock and 1/4 plate. I then cut off the flanges off the western mount, welded some angle iron to the Western Frame to lower the Snoway mount, and it is complete. 2 hours of welding and cutting, and 1 hours to get the mount on the jeep, (PIA) and it has plowed the 65 inches of snow in Northern NJ this year. I can post pictures if you want.

Stu

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:nod::nod:

12. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Just keep an eye out for a used setup, they're around. The Cherokee makes a great plow truck. Good luck.

13. crazyskier537

from NE IL

Hey sorry for the long reply guys. I went out to colorado and forgot about this thread:dizzy:

The suggestions above are all great, but they are really exactly the opposite of what I need. I don't have a welder, and am going to get my cherokee late in the summer. I don't trust myself with fabbing a mount yet. I have lots to learn.

As for mixing and matching a used mount to a new plow, I don't know jack about the subject, so I am thinking that I should go with a "plug and play" setup until I learn how all this stuff works.

So my true question is:

Who sells a mount specificly made for the XJ? I see so many people around me with plows on their cherokees, and am sure that all of them are not as smart as all of you, so how do THEY do it?

Sorry if this came out a bit too snappy;)

14. crazyskier537

from NE IL

15. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

first step is skip buying the meyers mount, get the western, then find the wiring for your jeep, then install them (not very difficult) then start looking for a 6'6" or wtvr you want sizewise unimount plow

16. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Look for a used unit, there are few manufacturers making a XJ mount (or YJ for that matter) but they are out there used:nod:

18. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

i have 2 1999 jeep cherokees both with western 6' 6" plows on... one i was able to get way back when when western still sold the mount kits for it, this last one i had to have custom fabbed.... nobody makes mounts for the 1999 jeep cherokee anymore... good luck! if your interested e-mail me and i can send you in the direction of the guy that fabbed the mounts for me and did all of the wiring...

19. crazyskier537

from NE IL

Didn't get it? Was it the one about subbing, or is this something else?

20. crazyskier537

from NE IL

What about the lift or hydraulics? Does this come with the plow, or mount?

Yeah, i'm leaning towards the western...