1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cherokee Front Air Bags

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by whitelite, Nov 3, 2011.

1. whitelite

whitelite Member

Looking for the best place to buy front air bags for my 99 Cherokee. Been reviewing a bunch of posts and started looking at different venders. Didn't find one for the front coil springs.
    I've got OME upgrade springs with Bilsteins front and back. Would like to put airbags front and back too.
    Suggestions please.:)
    Thanks

2. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

You plow with a cherokee?

The springs between a ZJ, TJ, and XJ are close enough that the airbags should interchange.

3. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

4. whitelite

whitelite Member

Have you done this to your rig?

5. whitelite

whitelite Member

Thanks for the link. I called the tec support there and they said that it wasn't for my year. Your 00 is pretty much the same as my 99. I've got OME springs with 1"-2" lift so maybe I need a spacer in the front. Did you have to adjust things when you put yours on?:)
    Regards,

6. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Do a search for Jeep air shocks and you might reconsider the airbags.

7. whitelite

whitelite Member

Yep, I did and thought it over quite a bit. I've had air shocks on a Lincoln and had problems with them. One leaked and the entire back of the vehicle hit bottom and road like a buckboard--happend on a long trip--very miserable ride.

Anyway, I just bought brand new Bilsteins all around--so my thinking is that if the air bags ever did leak then I wouldn't be any worse off ride wise than I am now, but if I had air shocks and they leaked --- bad memories again.

At least this is my current thinking.:)

Regards,

8. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

'99 and '00 XJ's should be the same set-up. I have stock springs. I had to remove the rubber bumper inside the top of the coil springs and replace it with a large diameter "plastic" washer from the kit. This large washer spreads the load over the top of the air bag. Since you have a lift, maybe you can keep the rubber bumper in place as your spacer.

Fran

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

NO... the Lincoln had an air suspension as in no springs just air bags. not the same as air shocks.

10. theplowmeister

from MA

No.. what the Lincoln has is an air SUSPENSION as in no springs. Not coil springs as in the Cherokee and adding air shocks.

11. whitelite

whitelite Member

Correct, my point and thinking is that if the air shocks leaked there would be a problem to where the vehicle really wouldn't be able to be used, as where with my new bilsteins if the air bags went out I would be where I am now and could still drive and plow.:)

12. theplowmeister

from MA

the air shock does not replace your spring, the shock just adds extra support. Air shocks that have a leek are just shocks, LIKE your Bilsteins

13. djr623

djr623 Member

I did a similar set up on my 96 xj. had 3" rustys coils that did not support the weight of the plow very well so i removed my bump stops(inside of the coil), trimmed the tube that previously held the bump stop and installed the air bag in the coil. I had to call the company and give them the measurements for the size of bag that i needed and they supplied the part number for the correct kit. not very hard to do at all and the results were great

14. whitelite

whitelite Member

How long have you been using them? Any problems?
    Thanks

15. whitelite

whitelite Member

I have been searching this out quite a bit and there are lots of pros and cons to different set ups. I too with my Old Man Emu Springs have about a 2" - 2 1/2" lift so it seems that AIR SHOCKS are out,----- AIR BAGS seem to make sense but did you put them on the back leaf springs as well as in the front coils, if so did you have to build a bracket to adjust for the lift on the back? Called Airlift and they said that is what I would have to do.:rolleyes:

Also looking into getting a new set of super heavy duty springs all around, but may cause a problem in the drive line with vibration.

What to do??????:confused:

16. djr623

djr623 Member

I had the bags in for about 6 months before I sold the jeep,I left about 5 lbs in the bags at all times as per the company. It did ride a little bit stiffer but it really was not that bad.

17. whitelite

whitelite Member

Did you put air bags in the rear with your 3 inch lift?

18. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

You can use the air shocks with a lift. I had them on my 4' lifted TJ and I used shocks from the rear of a mid 80s Chevy van if I remember right. The world of shocks opens up if you get an adapter to change from the stud style top mount that comes on the Jeep to a cross pin style (easy to find and cheap adapter). I'd think you could still use the TBird shocks with a 2' lift anyway. The airbags sound like way more hassle and this way you get new shocks too. Neither are hard to install, but the shocks are two bolts and you don't even need to take the tires off...

19. djr623

djr623 Member

No i did not install rear bags or air shocks, I didnt carry a heavy load in the back just some ballast but not even alot. i just got the bags for the weight of the plow, not for height control/adjustment.

20. whitelite

whitelite Member

I ordered Gabriel air shocks for the front and the rear. I'm moving the rear mounts up 2 inches on the axle tube so the Gabriel's will fit right in. The Front are going to be more difficult. I was thinking that I would make a spacer bracket of 2 inches, but then noticed what you said---------------------Where can I get an adapter to change from the stud style top mount to the bar pin style-----------that should take care of the 2 inches I would think. Anyway please post the link.
    Many thanks.:)