1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cheektowaga article

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Grass?, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Taken from A Cheektowage newspaper:

Thay sould have said "Some" not "The".
    Yeah, a couple may have put some in the roads, but in many cases we didnt know where the road was. If the town would have started plowing even the mains before 2 ft allready fell, thay wouldnt have had so much of a problem. I was out plowing for 10hrs before thay were.
    Some of the side roads only see 1 plow 4 days after a small event.
    "High Marks"? More like extremely low standards.
    The road I have an appartment on only saw one plow since this all started. Most of the snow finnaly melted from a water main break. You would think thay would/could at least put some salt down after so it didnt all freeze.

"Town Highway Superintendent Chris Kowal said private snow plow contractors made work difficult for his crews.

Kowal complained to Cheektowaga police that the private contractors were leaving piles of snow in the street.

Town Police Lieutenant Cheryl Rucinski said seven contractors were issued summonses on December 29.

"They leave it (snow piles) in the middle of the street and it’s not doing anybody good," said Kowal, who noted the police gave his crews "a lot of support."

Town Councilmember Patricia A. Jaworowicz gave high marks to the police and highway departments."

2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

An intresting article not about plows said:

"Cheektowaga Disaster Coordinator Earl Loder tallied 150 reports of structural damage in Town.

The damage included:

• 37 car port collapses

• 5 trailer roof collapses

• 7 collapsed awnings

• 43 home roof collapses

• 1 structural damage

• 40 ceiling cracks

• 13 garage collapses

• 2 porch collapses

• 2 house collapses"

3. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

Politics as usual

I am so sick of this county. Politics as usual. None of these people have a clue anymore. Why should we be compassionate anymore, I wish there was a way to get ALL landscapers and snowplowers from western new york together on one page and once and for all set the prices to a profitable level for all of us. This storm is showing the true mentality of the "victim" attitude of Buffalo ny... I wish i could substitute vision for victim, but you know how that goes around here.

4. diginahole

diginahole Member

That would just change the phrase from price gouging to price fixing.

5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

P&P, right on. Everyone in Buffalo is a Victim of something. Always thinking everyone is out to screw them over. Just becaue the local goverment has and always will. People are parinoid and yet dumb as dead at the same time.
    It's not so much that landscapers and plowers are against each other. It's scrub heaven and everyone compeats for jobs. This spring will change a lot for us as customers will see who can and who cannot do the job the right way the 1st time. Our customer list will only grow.
    We cannot do anything except keep our own prices at a decent level and wait for them to relize it. If we drop all of our prices then the others will go even lower and the startup-closeup rate will only get worse.

Treat the great customers great. Make them feel like thay are getting something for free. Give them that extra umph and thay will appreceate it more.

Ever think about starting a local landscaper/snow plowing orginization? Only the best of the best are allowed to join and must live up to our strict standards.
    Not sure what would go into starting one but I'm in and willing to do my share.

6. jackfrost

jackfrost Junior Member

got grass,p&p.I agree with you on these things.This is my first plowing season and I managed to scrape up some customers that were unsatisfied with the service they were getting,a few weeks ago I had put up some flyers at a couple local stores and I had gotten 4 calls about it.I went talked to them and they gave me a chance and during this storm I went to the four driveways about every two hours and kept up with the snow.They all appreciated it very much.one women(elderly)needed to get her medication in the morning and to her surprise the driveway was open and clear.see gave me a box of christmas cookies.Then she asked me if I was plowing next season and told me she wants me for her plowing needs.Good services,fair prices go a long way.Maybe now the word of mouth will spread and I can get more customers for this year and years to come.Thanks plowsite for helping.

7. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

Jackfrost

West Seneca Eh? Your right down the road from me.(In Kaisertown) This winter will weed out the weak... As the snow melts now I find the hidden damage to the plow & truck!!

8. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

As the winter goes by we find more and more people from the areas coming out of the snowpiles. And for a while I thought I was the only one. We still sould get together for coffee sometime.

The articles are over finnaly. Lets just see what the AG does now.

So anyone cause any damage to your trucks yet?
    Cant really say I have. Worst I did was scratch the tailgate by backing into something metal (possibly burried car?) and add some green paint from a stake to my wheel flair. I've had the truck for 3mths, not bad.

9. jackfrost

jackfrost Junior Member

p&p,kaisertown?isnt that clinton and bailey area?some damage to report guys,I was at the galleria mall and I was backing out of a spot and hit a snow pile.The pile was about 6-7 feet high.When I hit the pile(not fast just idle)snow came off the top came down and hit my tailight cracking it.It wasnt only snow there was a chunk of ice too.Half broke off and went in the bed the other half hit the light.Also during this storm I spilled a cup of coffee in my truck and on my lap,that was HOT!.A few nights ago is was going to my fiances house and got out of my truck and noticed a string of christmas lights hanging from the plow.Thats about all the damage.Got grass your right we should go out for coffee,but make it for the end of the season,this way we can discuss all the boneheaded things weve done or what other drivers have done.sound like a plan?

10. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Jack, Sound like you just have bad luck. Ice, Hot coffee musta hurt, I can just picture you jumping outta the tuck into the snow to "cool off". Christmas lights draging along the road musta been funny to watch. I cought a garden hose (not sure why it was still out) and draged it to the end of the drive.

It's a plan!

11. jackfrost

jackfrost Junior Member

yes grass it was very HOT!after i was done swearing i calmed down,but accidents happen.should have been in a cup holder but it was in my hand and i hit a pothole on union rd. in front of gillogly chevy.so yeah i have bad luck luck from time to time.and the christmas lights were just funny!

12. diginahole

diginahole Member

How can you tell you got a lot of snow? When you are peeling christmas lights off the eavestroughs with the snowplows. Too funny, that's definately a new one.

13. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Luckily we really don't have that problem around here. Yea there's a couple of guys who low ball but they do crappy work are usually never called again. The only thing I tell my customers are "Cheap work is never good and Good work is never cheap" Can't get any simpler then that.