1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Checking Price and Interest

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by ajchuck, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ajchuck

ajchuck Junior Member
    from Iowa

I recently bought a pretty rough shape '84 GMC Sierra 2500 6.2. The body is in rough shape with rust and dents. It has a 7'6" american plow with the pump under the hood. This truck needs a new pass. door, some brake work, and some electrical work done for the tail lights and turn signals. It will also need a new set of tires (weather rotted after sitting still or moved very little for 3-4 years prior to me buying it). Truck has a new starter on it and the trans was just gone through about 2-3 years ago. Truck starts and runs just fine. Any ideas what this truck might be worth? Anyone think they might be interested in it? It is showing too hard on my pocket book to get the small things fixed. I will try to get pictures up but it maybe a while as I am out of town this weekend and work late hours.

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

The way you describe it it's not worth much at all I wouldn't pay more then $400-$500 for something like that

3. ajchuck

ajchuck Junior Member
    from Iowa

The plow is in pretty good shape and plows well. I forgot to mention its a 4x4 as well

4. procut

procut Senior Member

Kind of what I was thinking. Not to sound like a d!ck, but it sounds like its about ready for the scrap yard.

5. duramax-king

duramax-king Senior Member

if your getting rid of it i'll buy it.... 500?

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's worth some money to the right person. If it only needs the things you describe for inspection, sounds like the "rough shape" is more cosmetic than anything.

Any ideas how many miles on the truck/motor? What's the trim level? Is the interior decent?

7. ajchuck

ajchuck Junior Member
    from Iowa

It is mostly cosmetic. The truck only has 57,000 some odd original miles on the truck and motor(its never had the odometer roll over just in case your wondering). It came from the state of Iowa as a plow truck and has only plowed its whole life. I am not sure the trim level. The interior is ok the seat could use a cover or reupholstered ( driver side has a whole in the seat). It will also probably need a fuel tank(current fuel tank is an aux tank in the bed plumbed to be the fuel tank).

8. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

ya junk the truck and sell the plow on ebay or craigslist scrap is $200 a ton here so its worth about 500-650 just in scrap

9. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

On a diesel truck site, you could probably generate some interest either parts or whole.

10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

I had one just like it, sold it for $300 on craigslist. After dealing with no-shows for a week. I wished I would have just scrapped it for the steel.

11. ajchuck

ajchuck Junior Member
    from Iowa

I may need to clarify the 6.2 part. Its the 6.2L Diesel engine.

12. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

dont matter i had a old ford with the diesel motor i keep the plow but it was a little better shape not much but a little better only sold the truck for $500 and i keep the plow seat and radiator for another truck

put it on ebay if you feel its worth more but old diesels are not worth much any more some times you would find some one looking for one but most times there worth more in scrap than what people wanna pay

but its like most people now they dont have money but want a great car needing no work for $100 cause its all they have and they want you to feel bad for them i dont feel bad for them when scrap is 200 a ton for junk steel id rather scrap it and pay my bills than help some one out

13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

See now I'm one of those weirdos who would like something like that... but Iowa is just too far away. I start with rough trucks like that and custom build them to what I need.

14. ajchuck

ajchuck Junior Member
    from Iowa

See thats what I thought too but I am not sure I can afford it.

15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Its a whole lot cheaper than buying a new truck... all depends if you can do the work yourself or not.

Brakes are cheap and easy to do at home.
    Door from the wreckers is pretty cheap, and six bolts to change.
    Electrical can be a b!tch but many times its simply a ground issue...
    Brand new fuel tanks are around $100 aftermarket. Straps are another $30 if needed. 8x 3/8" bolts to drop the assembly.
    Lots of used tires available cheap... wreckers usually want $35-50 each for decent rubber.

If the rest of the truck is relatively presentable, and a low mileage drivetrain, I would say its far from the junkyard. These guys just say that because its not at least a 2000. Let them make the truck payments while you make money plowing. Can't beat a solid axle GM truck for winter work. If nothing else it makes a helluva backup truck.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010