1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Checking a vin?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I'm looking at this 2001 dodge 2500 cummins 4x4 and when I run the car fax it comes up a lemon buy back, but the guy who owns it says it runs fine and he has no idea. It was bought back(manufacturer) when it was only 2 years old

Is there a way to run the vin, kinda like ford has the oasis report?

Thanks In advance

2. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

If it's a lemon law buyback vehicle, RUN, do not walk away from it. I had a 97 VW Jetta TDI that had 100 miles on it when I purchased it. It was in the shop 34 days in the first 3 months that I owned it, so I started lemon law proceedings. VW ended up taking the car back, and swapping it for a '98. It was considered a "good will" gesture, so CarFax never picked it up as a lemon. A couple years later I had an unlimited CarFax membership, so I ran the vin, sure enough the next person to buy it ended up lemoning it, and then it changed hands another 3 times, all in 2 years!

This truck might be fine, and all of the problems have been fixed, however you do not know. How many owners has it had? If there are a bunch, and people never kept it for more than a year, you can be pretty sure that it still has problems.

All dealerships can run a VIN for you, but not all of them will.

3. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

Thank you, you made up my mind. I thought the deal was too good to be true, but I don't want to take any chances

Thanks

Rich