1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$ check

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by lippy334, Oct 27, 2010.

1. lippy334

lippy334 Junior Member
    from maine

I am bidding a 2.5 mile private dirt rd (about 20 ft wide) and have come up with $1000 to $1200 per storm up to 6". Does this sound high or not enough?
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds way high to me. I would guess it will take about an hour or so to plow if you have a 8 foot blade, a little less it you have a 9 footer or a V plow. If you average 10 miles per hour plowing you will be able to make 4 passes on a 2.5 mile road in 1 hour. That is 2 down the middle and 2 off each edge to make sure the snow is far enough back to have room for the next snowfalls. I would guess you will average closer to 20 mph. At least if I were plowing I would be doing 20 to 25 mph to make sure I am throwing the snow far enough back.
  3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

How often will you have to be out during the storms? Every inch? Every three?

Price seems high, does it include salt?
  4. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

will lube be included at that price?
  5. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

How much for over 6 inches?
  6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Where in Maine are you? If your in or close to a "major" city/town there will be more competition so you won't be able to charge as much...... You'l also have to have the ability (or sub it out) to wing back the banks..... as you know it gets pretty tight up hear after a few Nor' easters
  7. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I do a 1 1/2 mile road with 4 drives...... It takes me about 1 hour and 15 minutes..... I charge $200 :eek: Maybe I'm not charging enuff ???? ps its gravel , 20' plus after the road freezes good I plow about 20- 25 mph.
  8. lippy334

lippy334 Junior Member
    from maine

Actually sand would be included and have to keep it clear after 2'', after 6'' would be $400
  9. slave2lawns

slave2lawns Member

That was great math Rc2505. I often see guys plowing NOT thinking to push the snow farther away in case of another snow storm.
  10. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

LOL. Awesome.
  11. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Hey Longae,
    Did you get that storage account? The one were you were bidding against twobros?
  12. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

hahahah. i'll send you a pm, I dont want to trash talk in an open forum
  13. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

No. We never trash talk in a open forum, lol. Jk