1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Check your unimount pins

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by beanz27, Feb 18, 2014.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Well on my Unimount MVP, lost a pin, checked it before I started, all was good and well, then after about 8 hours of plowing, I noticed my head gear moving a little bit. Thought I was just tired, or it had always been that way..........nope. 4 pushes later, left pin fell out, had to limp back to the shop, thankfully only a few miles. Bent up the frame pretty well, as in when one pin is in, the other is below the plow mount. At least one cracked weld in the A frame.

It's about toast, but I'm going to fix it as best as I can for this season. Switching to Boss after this season, dealer support within 200 miles sucks for western, yet boss is here in town, and I like that DXT.

So now here I am with a broken plow. So for your sake guys, Check your pins, and maybe replace the hairpins with small bolts, and double nut them.

Btw if anyone wants the plow for parts, it's for sale now, asking $1000 for everything, plow, mount, wiring etc. Cab command controller works, everything works as it should.
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That sucks, but you can't blame Western for it. The fact that you are still running an old uni is a testament to how long they last. Good luck with the Boss DXT. I have installed a few Boss plow and I don't care for them. Much harder to get mounted when you are alone. They may be nice to hook up with power but when the hydraulics fail they are a *****. Also dislike the knife edge mount width, you have to get out, look, back up, move over, get out, look, move over, get out look, move over a bit etc, etc etc. Western ultra mount is so much easier to drive into. The worst thing about the Boss I found was that rubber thing that wedges under the blade center to set the cutting edge contact angle. Hit and miss, it sucks and changes over time as the rubber breaks down. Western V plows have ridged, finite and easy course and fine configuration for ideal cutting edge contact. I find Boss very heavy too.
  3. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I dont blame western at all. Only reason I want to switch is dealer support. The western dealer here doesnt even stock parts, they had 6 trip springs and a few marker flags in stock....ridiculous.
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think he was blaming anyone, just making people aware.
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I find it, as you do, ridiculous that a Western "dealer" has so little inventory. I tried to become a dealer but you have to buy sooo much inventory that I couldn't begin to afford it. Evan and associate dealer is expected to place an initial order of $30,000 for parts. If I were dealing with such an ill-equipped dealer I would switch to Boss too.
  6. ColliCut

ColliCut Member

I had the same thing happen on my Unimount... Luckily, when I noticed the headgear loving, I stopped plowing and found the main pin to be halfway fallen out. I put it back in place, stuck a new cotter pin, and it did the same thing again. Switched to "safety pin" style pins instead of cotter pins, and I haven't had a problem since.
  7. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

The one in town is an associate dealer, with maybe $300 in parts lol. Talked to boss dealer today for 45 min, they answered everything without hesitation and definately knew their product. What sold me is he keeps enough parts on hand to build 40 plows if he had to, on top of the 40+ he has for sale.

I do like western controller better though, that `mode` is nice to move the whole plow like a straight blade or v in or out evenly is nice. Oh well, guess what matters is dealer support.
  8. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

I carry parts with me even though most of my stuff is close to home but when your on the road in the middle of a major storm sometimes you just cant turn back right away .

I never liked boss plows a local landscaper around here had one on a freightliner dump truck he says once its on its on for the winter very hard to take off he said one time the whole plow and frame fell off the truck in the middle of lot . he runs all western now. I mean every plow or truck manufacturer has there problems but just wanted to chime in .
  9. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

That stinks about your pin.

As far as dealer support.... I have not been plowing but for a couple years, and really only just now getting my own equipment but one thing I am learning, some from my own experiences, some from watching others is to be prepared for anything under the mindset that no store will be open.

I am trying to get spare parts enough to pretty much fix anything that may go wrong, other than a serious ****-up without having to run to the store..... maybe I am crazy though lol.
  10. ColliCut

ColliCut Member

I've found that the factory cotter pins (or hair pains, whatever they're called) are too long for the Unimounts (at least for the Ultra/Uni Conversion Bracket), causing them to bind and break/come loose when the main hitch pins rotate. A shorter cotter pin, or a safety pin, will keep this from happening.