1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Check Your Caliper Slide Pins!!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Doakster, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Just an FYI....I've been having a problem with the truck pulling hard to the left.

Torn into the calipers today and low and behold both slide pins on the passenger side caliper were completely frozen to the point where I had to use a torch to heat the area around the slide pins to remove them. Unfortunately the heat ruins the little plastic piece on the end the slide pins so I need new ones.

Then I torn into the Driver side, and one of the pins was completely frozen, one was good. What did this all equate to?

This meant that I was basically running the equivalent 1/2 a caliper for braking power :eek:

The truck was pulling hard to the left because the right side caliper was frozen due to the slide pins and the left side caliper was stronger.

All the slide pins will be replaced, lubricated and new rubber boots installed.

The truck only has 80k on it so a word to the wise, check the slide pins and make sure the calipers are functioning properly, apparently this is common on Superduties.

Here is a write up on how to do it if anyone is interested.
  2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

We did many time it will get rust then stuck when don't use. We didn't use F250 for 2 months so now we need apart again but one caliper we replace new because it broke pin why we try remove but end broke then went dealer get new caliper it cost $69.

Sometime you can't get pin out caliper then best is buy new one and forgot about that. My Dad struggle for 1 hour then broke pin he got mad then went to dealer get new caliper then install in 5 min.

how it get stuck. Who drive dirt road, snow on road that make wet on it, though deep water, and wash it.
  3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I just do calipers when I notice one is bad. Calipers aren't expensive and easy to do. Same with rotors. Don't even bother trying to turn them anymore. Most are just one use. Just did the whole system on my new to me 99 F350. 4 Calipers, 4 rotors and new pads all around. Now I know I have good brakes and it is a starting point.

Did the fronts on the 550 in the spring and did the same thing.
  4. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

I just did new pads and rotors, then a week later had to do ball joints(it would not pass inspection), then the front hub assembly would not come free and had to be pressed off. Ended up needing a new hub, $276, now everything seems to be fine......:dizzy: