1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

check you exhaust studs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mainebob, Nov 8, 2006.

1. mainebob

mainebob Junior Member
    from maine

fyi. all of you with the titon v8/v10's check you exhaust studs. i was getting a lot of noise from the exhaust manifold on the drivers side and found that 3 exhaust manifold studs on the drivers side and 2 on the passenger's side had broken off. all of them were rusting really bad. i was going to change them out myself but ended up letting local shop i go to do them. i was in today and they got all but 4 out. one they drilled out and retapped. one they welded a nut on and was able to get it out and one broke inside the manifold and they are still working on that one and have one left to try tomorrow. ford has replacement kits for the studs and bolts that are stainless but this is not a recall.

2. mainebob

mainebob Junior Member
    from maine

update

update. back from the shop (family friend) $841. $300 in parts and got a deal on the labor. 16 man hr to finish. also included rear diff cover that rusted out, diff fluid and state inspection. the parts from ford were $$$> this is a 2001 f 350

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

What kind of noise were you getting? I am getting a ticking under acceleration. I have been thinking it is the timing chain or a valve lifter, but now I am wondering. I have given the exhaust manifolds a quick look and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, but I could be wrong.

4. mainebob

mainebob Junior Member
    from maine

i got small ticking initially and then it got much louder in the last month. and it would stop if i put it in neutrally even if i hit the accelerator. if you look up from the front fender well and look at the nuts and studs you can see if they are rusting. when i grabbed some they just started to fall apart.

5. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

you got lucky .we have had the heads replaced on a couple of our v-10 because of the broken studs.The bills were in the 1500 range.

6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

its like a super common thing, cant wait until I have to deal with it

maybe I should do the stainless before mine get too bad?

7. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

same here, thought my lifter was collapsing in the 5.4 stuperduty.....turns out just 2 exhaust studs broke so i get the ticking when its cold and warming up and then it goes away unless im under hard accel.

definately nottttt looking foreward to the job of getting the old ones out....ive been routinely pb-blastering the thing to try to get them a little loose before the big day

8. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

....oh...i forgot to say

STUPID ALUMINUM HEADS!!!!!!!!!!

which is why these studs break, the heads expand differently than the cast iron manifolds...

also by 70k miles make sure all you gasser guys check the spark plugs, they pop out soon after, they just naturally back themselves out again cause of the luminum head...

did mine at 74k and 4 were finger tight...scary eh?

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Make sure you use antiseze on spark plug threads / replacements and dielectric grease on the inside of the spark plug wire boots.. There should be bolt / stud kits available for the trucks exhaust manifolds, check NAPA stores. Make them go to the BOOK ! I tend to use an air cutoff to zip off the close end of the stud, then after the manifold is off. I heat the stud till it's red hot, let it cool then use a small pipe wrench to turn the stud out. ( red hot burns off the oxidation between the stud and head ) I have not broke one off yet. I am doing my 5.8's manifolds this week, it's ancient and laughs at my efforts!