1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

check out this walter in action

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by mike psd, Nov 22, 2007.

1. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

2. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

That was cool, wish I was there!

3. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

Man does that thing sound nice!!!

4. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

that was SWEET
    i've run alot of trucks and equipment with wings but havent had a chance to run one with a Vee...maybe someday

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2007
  5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i bet that has less horses and torque than a lot of the pickups on this sight. but i like the old plowing iron anyway.

i wonder how long it would have taken some of you with the v's on your trucks to clear that road?

6. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Yea thats what gears will do for you. I wouldn't mind taking a pass or two, then let the big machines handle it.

7. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

show me the money and i'll find a way to plow it out with my half ton... just give me plenty of money and plenty of time. lol. :D

8. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I agree I think it would be fun to try. We would kill our trucks doing it, but it would be fun.:salute:

9. J29

J29 Senior Member

That was pretty sweet. Don't get to see many, if any, of those in action where I'm from. J.

10. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Cool truck

Quite the drift buster!

11. neman

neman Member
    from Mass

I wonder what the boss would say if he saw that guy on the roof of the truck with the video camera? You can see his shadow in parts of the video. The Walter is an awesome truck, too bad they don't make them anymore.I think they became too expensive for a truck whose main purpose was plowing snow.

12. Austin Machine

Austin Machine Junior Member
    from Maine

Good FIND on the video ....As Walter Snow Fighters go that is a fairly late model square nose version (1980's) . It probably has a 300+hp turbo Cummins for power and a more modern easier shifting transmission than the older walters used. I have '60 Walter powered by a 220 Cummins that I use on our farm roads and a subdivision road so if any one wants to say they have tried one here's your chance. It's a lot of fun. Some times my crew bails on me (my kids) and I have an opening. I'm in Southern Maine. I see a few of you guys are from around here. I posted some pictures from one of the big storms last year (Valentine's Day, I think). It's on the old truck threads on page 4, I think. No video though, but I might try it.

It's hard to compare plowing with a pick up or a one ton to plowing with one of these things, No matter how much snow there is, you go slow and let the truck do the work- no need to slam things or hit things too hard. Kind of like driving a dozer. Put the snow wherever you want it.

About horsepower... 30 years ago when I was a young, punk, know it all, bag of snot, I remember having a lengthy discussion about horsepower like you'd find under the hood of your pickup versus horsepower you'd find in a big truck with an old timer that had pretty much done it all. He said, "Boy, let me tell you something... whatever you've got for horsepower in your pick up truck is a 'race horse' power. That kind of horse power," he was pointing to his old Mack, "is a 'work horse' power."

13. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I wish I lived in Maine! Maybe a roadtrip is in order.

14. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I noticed that he was on the truck as well, it looked more like he was on the hood!!! Kinda insane IMO.....good footage though, nice video, you don't see many of those actually doing what they are supose to do anymore!!

15. Plow Chaser

Plow Chaser PlowSite.com Addict

You have found the greatest video ever placed on Youtube!! Incredible find! I know what I'll be watching all day, everyday, for the next 5 months! As for the truck, after seeing the slower shots of it and looking at the color and the logo on the door, I'm willing to bet it's the Town of Kirkland's in Upstate NY. Not far from my hometown. I shot photos of this truck in the garage a few years back. I would died and gone to heaven if I got this footage.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/ryan_pedone/2005/jan01/town-of-kirkland-walter.jpg

16. Plow Chaser

Plow Chaser PlowSite.com Addict

If it was one of the older Detroit Diesels you'd be looking for a hearing aide. I've never heard a sound in all of my life like the older Walters with the Detroits in them. You could hear one of those from miles away.

17. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Thats just another plus in my book!

18. neman

neman Member
    from Mass

I don't know if this has been already posted but the Kirkland Highway Dept. has some really nice slideshows and videos on their website.The video has some additional footage of the Walter not shown on the You Tube one.

http://www.kirklandhighway.com/index.html