1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Check out this truck-opinions?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by stroker79, Feb 13, 2008.

1. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I am in the market for a truck. I cant afford to buy new and my credit isnt very good so i cant finance it. Im looking for anything from a reg cab long bed to a reg cab with a dump body. I need this truck to look professional and be reliable. diesel engine is preffered with an auto. This truck will be pulling the landscape trailer 5 days a week all day. I would like to be able to plow with this truck also.

So thats my scenario, I found this truck while on craigslist. its a little bit older than i want but in the crappy pictures, it looks to be in real good condition. Its not listed but its a 4x4 and the bed is electric/hydo.

Tell me what you guys think about it. If it runs for 2 years with very little problems, it would be perfect. it will be a backup truck by my 3rd year of owning it.

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

from the pictures it looks like a clean truck but only a test drive would prove its in good shape take it on a long test drive and see how it drives.
  3. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Check the build date. If it is 94.5 its a Powerstroke if not its just a regular turbo diesel. That seems like a decent price, I did buy a truck like that for 8000, with only 60k. I wouldnt be scared of the miles. See if you can get it for 75.

P.S. Check the oil pan.
  4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

its got a 7.3 in it alot of those run well in to the 300k range
  5. v-plower

v-plower Senior Member

the rebuilt tranny is a good thing. My 95 went through 6 torque converters in one year.
  6. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Did you get the computer re-flashed? I went through one in like 2 years, The next one Was a ford and then I had to take it to the dealer to get the computer re programed or re flashed or what ever.
  7. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Looks like a 4x4 to me! It's a 94' so it could be one of three Diesels 7.3 N/A, 7.3 Turbo, or the 7.3 PSD. Even if it's a 7.3 N/A it will have enough power for your needs no problem. Let's take it for a ride.

My dad had a 94' 7.3 N/A that he put over 430k on. We still see it around town running like a champ!
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  8. stroker79

Im hoping its a PSD

You want to go tomorrow?

If so, Ill call him in the morning and see when we can head over there
  9. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

not sure if I can with the big storm coming! :p I'll let you know.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

damn...it sure looks nice.
  11. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

i would thint that if its a PSD itd have the vented front bumper, i thought that was part of the deal with the PSD of those years, i may be wrong
  12. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

get me a vin and i'll get an oasis for you if want . looks good man you might be surpised and keep the truck longer then you think if like it and buy it
  13. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Looks clean from the picture. The re-built trans is a good thing!
  14. v-plower

v-plower Senior Member

Well the truck was new and at the time they were having major problems with the torque converters.
    The ford factory rep came into town and I wanted to take the tuck to my transmission guy because even though it was under warranty the down time was killing me.
    Not sure if they flashed it or not.
    Eventually I just paid my guy to do the work and he replaced the ford with a kevlar torque converter which lasted for at least 250k more miles (old the truck).
  15. stroker79

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I emailed the seller to find out the build date and the engine.

Im hoping to take a cruise over there to look at it and drive it.

I dont think its a PSD since it doesnt look like there are any badges under the F350 logo.

If it isnt a PSD, should I stay away from it? will it still be powerful enough?

Thanks again, i hope to show you some better pictures of it in my driveway depending on how it is up close.
  16. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

The IDI 7.3 engines are great!!! We used them to pull 13k daily with no problem, They have plenty of power, great MPG, and are super easy and cheap to work on. It will last you a long time. I wish I had more time to go look at it with you, but I am not sure when I can maybe sunday.
  17. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I agree. Anything has to be easier than trying to work on a psd
  18. stroker79

just found out it has the 7.3 without a turbo. a little bummed about that. i dont need it to win any races but will it be good enough? i dont want a super slow pos either.

if i got it i sure will be happy to jump in my truck after a long day of work. itll be like driving a rocket:yow!:
  19. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

It also has quite a long wheel base. Longer than your normal reg. cab. The 7.3 IDI is fine. IT will get going. You could always put a turbo on the engine after the fact. I think there are a few manufacturers that make them. Banks is one company. Too bad you aren't in the Boston area. Here is a great truck. Price is a bit high though.

20. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I think the price is a little high, See if you can talk him down. Did you get to drive it yet or no?