1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Check out these $1200 walk behind spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Camden, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

$1200:dizzy:

and you can go 3 miles with salt??????

3. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

they're canadian, what do they know

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think they are the same as Epoke and I paid $1150 for mine. They are by far the best spreader ever made for bulk salt, laugh if you want but one of these spreaders will last you the rest of your life.

5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

WOW!

it must be nice but if thats a little out of your budget look at mine FREE SHIPPING

i have a real nice scott's i'll sell for less than half that, it use to hold 50lb but the side split and NOW it holds 75lb :)it has a plastic hopper(wont rust) plastic wheels(wont rust) plastic gears(wont rust) bent cheap steel axle (can't bend it, it already is) cotter pin for an agitator (works sometimes) but it is a steal at $799 LOL

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have pics? LOL

7. Krimick77

Krimick77 Member

JD Dave

Have you used bulk sand/salt mix in that spreader. I've been dying to try it out for my walks but haven't found a spreader yet that will handle sand/salt mix. The epoke/hydromann/Bauman websites all say there drop spreaders can handle sand/salt mix but I've had by doubts Have you tried it?

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yes I have but very little. They will spread anything wet without lumps. Bulk salt/sand mix is exactly what their made for. The only thing not good is they are only 24" wide. If you can afford it buy it.

9. Krimick77

Krimick77 Member

Thanks for the feedback JD Dave. I've been looking at those spreaders for years and I've been affraid to pull the trigger because it seems nothing really works with bulk mix. I do close to 5 km of sidewalk between 24" and 45" wide and have always done them with buckets and scoops......which as I am sure you are well aware, really sucks!

Thanks again

10. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

what do you guys do when you come to steps? what if you need to go up a flight of steps like a parking garage? we never use spreaders ...just 5 gallon buckets and throw (fling) it out by hand...goes fast !!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  11. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I used one of these with the deflector kit.....as far as bulk I have yet to try that....

2130ms.jpg

12. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I fill up a scoop shovel with salt and I just wiggle it back and forth as I go down the steps. Works like a charm.

13. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

It's worth it if it will cover 32,736 sq feet with two cubic feet of salt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have my doubts though.......

14. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

For that price, i would want it to spread itself, so i didn't have to get outta the truck!

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It has a really fine output adjustment. You'll never use the lowest setting. Alot of the bigger contractors around here fill their pickup with bulk salt and they can use this spreader all night, no matter how wet the salt is. The diff in price between bulk and bags easily pays for the spreader in less then a year when your putting 2 ton a storm through it.

16. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Salt weighs about 50# per cubic foot. 100# of salt to cover 32,736 sq feet????????

c'mon!

Edit: So if you're putting 2 ton a storm through the spreader then you must cover about 65,472,000 sq feet!! That's about 2.35 sq miles a storm!! I'm glad i;m not the guy pushing it!! :jester:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  17. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

In other words your guy would be pushing that thing for 124 miles. :jester: ....... a storm. :jester:

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Like I said, you would never use the lowest setting. The guys that go through 2 tons of salt/storm are a total sidewalk crew with 3 or 4 guys. The spreader is expensive and will last forever if looked after. I'm not new to the snow industry and unless you've tried one you really can't comment. Spending $1200 on something that serves a purpose is not a waste of money IMO.

19. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

There's no reason to get defensive about spending $1200 on a walk behind spreader.

The only thing i scoffed at was their claim of 3+ miles on 100# of salt.

I could spread 100# of salt 10 miles of i spread it thin enough. But that would be stupid to say............... right?????

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yep it would be stupid to say. Advertising generally stretches the truth. I'm not getting defensive, I'm just giving first hand information about a product that I have experience with. I've never really figured out how many sq/ft of sidewalk it does because I don't care. The guys put the salt on according to the conditions, so when it's empty it's empty.