1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Check out State Farm Ins. CHEAP!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by IMAGE, Nov 28, 2007.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Thought you guys guys might want to know this. State Farm was by far the cheapest ins I could find after 5 hours of calling around today. Most of the other companies were 2-3x more expensive.

Here is the breakdown
    $39.50/month for commercial auto on 2005 2500hd with plow $1k deductible
    $516/yr 1M GL $250 deductible

They are gonna be doing my personal vehicle on a seperate policy also that is saving me $150 every 6 months vs my current ins.

So make sure you guys check with State Farm

btw: I am 26 and in ND. Im sure age and location make a difference.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Use EXTREME caution. Remember the saying "You get what you pay for".
  3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I checked with my local State Farm (he used to be my agent) and he would not cover me if the truck was lettered and used commercially go figure, by the way i have been plowing his lot for 5 yrs now.
  4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

take the letters off. tell him your not using it commercially. then hand him his bill for plowing and ask him where yours is for your insurance coverage..
  5. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

yeah that would go over good it's funny I plow his office and do the lawn care both at his office and home but only plow his office as his home is in another city.

My next post in a different thread will be my 500th post.
  6. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I will make sure to ask tomarrow when I go to sign the paperwork and make sure that it can be lettered. Thanks.

I think it was pretty clear to them it would be used commercially. I asked for commercial auto, told them I was plowing and mowing, and asked about GL and specifically asked about snowplowing again. She said I was covered as long as it was not gross neligance(sp?).

I asked her about a couple of examples.
    1- I hit a parked car while plowing a lot? - Covered under commercial auto policy
    2- I hit a manhole sticking up a little bit and break the concrete from around it? - Covered under GL.

Theft was under GL also, with a $250 deductible.
  7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I've been with State Farm for 20+ years for auto and home coverage, always been good. Went to set up my business 5 years ago and they wouldn't write it.
    Said "we don't do that"
    so, now they miss out on all my commercial businesss.
  8. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I do just as well with Farm Family Ins. and I know they cover me very well.
  9. Mick

from Maine

There are several signs, but generally if an agent indicates that "just a little plowing" or won't put something in writing, you're not covered if something happens. Remember, it's not the agent that has to make good on claims; it's the Underwriter. They go straight by the policy and what is in writing.
  10. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

I'm curious, why do all you guys go through "agents"?

I would just give them a call direct, why go through a middleman?? I would also think that by going direct, they would be able to better evaluate what would and would not be covered.
  11. Mick

from Maine

I go through an independant agent because insurance is her business. She can stay aware of the policies of all insurance companies and match my needs with that's available and what I qualify for. She is working for MY interests, not the insurance company's. Case in point - When I started, she got my policy was for CVand GL through seperate companies (Progressive had the CV and Middlesex had the GL). Last year Middlesex joined or changed their name to MiddleOak. She called me and said they wanted my business for both and offered me a combined policy at a substantial saving over the previous arrangement. Convenience - Last year, I was considering starting a towing company. I called her and told her what I was looking for. She finally found a company who'd write me a policy, but it took some doing (I decided the insurance was too high and made the venture infeasible). What would or would not be covered is not an issue. The Agent will be more forthcoming that the one who is working for the insurance company.

I decided long ago to let those who are in a particular business to do what they do. I'll stick to what I do instead of trying to do everything to save a couple of dollars. I'll come out ahead and they'll make money, too. That was a lesson I learned long ago fixing my own car. By the time I bought the wrong part, went back to exchange it, bought the tools I needed for the job and took two days to do a ten minute job, it had cost me a lot more than just taking it to the mechanic who knew what he was doing to start with.

Very similar to the argument I use with people who want to plow their own drive instead of paying me $30.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  12. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

What Mick said.
    Almost word for word (great post)
    My insurance is trucks are with company A, general liability is with B, snow plowing liability is with C, all thru the same agent.
    Because it's cheaper.
    Company A wanted like 4 times what company B wanted for general liability, etc on down the line.

Plus the fact, when I need a insurance certification sent to someone, I call the agent and it happens, because he knows I'm spending with him and I'm sending him business. You call the company customer service center, you get to India and you get nothing.
  13. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We used state farm for many years, with auto, house, life Ect.

- I always though they were good priced, and had good covage. This summer I decided to call around and do some price checking, just to make sure I wasn't being ripped.

After Talking to a few diffen agents, that work for diffent companys, the marjory of them, looked at my policy w/ state farm, and said WOW, the way they got your policy wote to save you money, would never stand up if you have a cliam!!!! Also statefarm, dose not like to cover dump trucks!!

So needless to say, I ended up swiching to another local Agent, who just happen to sign a 2 year seasonl contract with us, for Snow & Lawn :)

Just my .02 watch out, that u get good covage..
  14. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Same here. I have my vehicles insured with them but they would not even quote a price for Lawn and Snow service GL.
  15. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Is there a reason people are saying to stay away from State Farm? I have talked to the claims department to see what is all covered and it seems pretty good.

I see in ins treads on here people say things about State Farm like "never" and "wouldn't", but I never see a reason why, am I missing something?

I put off going to sign it until I get some responses as to why people are discouraging it. I want real reasons and examples please, not opinions or hearsay.

Thanks, Steve
  16. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

State Farm has been good for me on my vehicles but they do not write commercial in my state. I think that is the only reason some are saying they don't have it, because they don't offer it everywhere. I've stayed with State Farm because I have a great agent, never had problems on a claim, and believe I get better service having been with him for all lthe years vs. switching around. I had checked a couple times, way back on other's rates and State Farm was still just as cheap, I think. If there was a difference it wasn't enough to cause me to switch over. One check was Geicko and I think the other was Progressive. Ihad another company provide the commercial for the work truck. I would realy have preferred to use State Farm but they just don't offer it here.

I would not shy away from state farm from what you have read here. I would make sure that your "quote" is the actual costs are going to be and not just an estimate. There was a thread about that here recently, I believe, where the bill was significantly higher than what the person was quoted. I think it had to do with the person giving the quote's method of doing it (not the company chosen - I'm not saying it was state farm).
  17. bribrius

type in : state farm refused claim

in a search engine and a multitude of court cases come up.

thats all i know about state farm.
  18. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

i have them

I have had state farm ever since i began to drive. so that is 12 years and they have never let me down. I have 2 million in commercial lawn care and snow removal liability. I pay 550 for the year. What is wrong with a company that has been around for this long and doesnt rape you on premiums. Read the print and if looks good to you then go with it. All on my commercial clients read over my coverage and they say it covers everything and more and they are pretty picky when it comes to coverage. If it is good enough for them then it should work for me.
  19. bribrius

i'm guessing that is just for gl right?
  20. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

so what happens if you cause personal injury or death with the plow on and truck lettered?