1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Check Out My Salt Barn

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Flawless440, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Just built it this fall. Thought we could do somethin cheap but still ended up with a $1000 in it. The paver floor is from a job we tore out, the plywood is what we used to drive our skid loader on grass with all summer. Buying post, 2x4's, 20 ton of recycled asphalt, and some labor. I used scrap pavers under the base to help raise the floor and durability. Also use 59's instead of screen (sand) then brushed concrete in between the joints. So far it's working, it measure's 16x10 then a 10 foot landing.

What do you think??

barn 1.jpg

barn 2.jpg

barn 4.jpg

barn last.jpg
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

i like the re use the old pavers, i've been scratching my head trying to figure out what to do here for my salt this year as I can't get a hold of a dumpster like years past. I've got a couple pallets of scraps myself just laying around. thanks for the idea!
  3. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Looks good!!!

I would try and find some trusses and sheet it with steel or shingles. Thumbs Up
  4. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Matt, does Eagle rent tall boy containers? That would be your best option IMO

Just put mafia blocks behind the back wall. When you push against it to scoop you will blow right though it. Nice job though
  5. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Nice. I agree with hintoiz, need something to brace the back. Some mofia blocks would work well.
  6. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

As everyone else said Get a "real" roof! It will pay for itself later! once the tarp collapses you will wish you did! How much do you think it can hold???
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Hate to say it, but those pavers are going to get trashed by the salt and skid steer........

8. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Good thing it was just scrap then.

I might have laid some plywood over the pavers to help save them.

As far as the tarp roof. First snow fall and you will know how much snow it can handle. My bet is only 1" of snow and it will collapse. I would add 3 times as many trusses if you want to use the tarp. Dont give the tarp room to fall through.
  9. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

If they are a quality paver like Techobloc then they will last forever. Put a urethane edge on the skid too, that will stop the bucket from catching the pavers.
  10. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I would put a plywood/shingled roof on it. The salt air will eat a metal roof in no time.
  11. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

I've had used interloc as a floor in my salt dome for 7 years now and so far no problems. The concrete in interloc is more dense than poured concrete and if it's a quality paver it will last a lot longer than poured concrete.
  12. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

It is a plywood roof with a tarp over the plywood, Has 20 ton in it now, could stack another 10 in it with the toro dingo but don't want to get salt in the tracks. I think it will last awhile
  13. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I've just seen way too many times where a lesser block has just turned to dust over-time from salt.