1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Check out my other Rig Deere vs Snow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by SD-Dave, Dec 23, 2006.

1. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Here are a few pictures of my main assault weapon on the snow.

John Deere 244J compact wheel loader

Articulated and 4 wheel steer…great maneuverability

Surprising lifting ability and power for its size.

Very versatile with Skid-Steer Pro adapters
    3rd and 4th remotes for angle plows and powering blowers, sweepers augers etc.

Fully insulated cab with stereo, suspension seat HVAC all drive by wire controls

Whelen Dual strobe light bar on roof.

• 1.4 yd GP bucket, quick attach hydro
    • 6000 lb pallet forks quick attach hydro
    • Pro-Tech 10’ snow pusher with quick attach hydro
    • 9’ Snow-Way Plow- full angle skid-steer attach

Thought you guys might like to check it out.

Pray for some snow!

244J Small 1.JPG

244J small 2.JPG

244J side small.JPG
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

that looks like a fun toy, able to turn around before you know it.
  3. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Very nice.

Merry Christmas and let it snow.
  4. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

That is real nice. With the plow it makes it rather long though compared to just a bucket??

Either way I'd take it. payup
  5. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I always wondered about one of those, what is the hydro output and what does the base unit run?
  6. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Nice, I have the big brother a 344H which also has the "stereo steering":

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  7. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Nice looking machine. We at Sno-Way appreciate your business.

Happy Holidays,
  8. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

deere vs snow....i think you win
  9. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

maybe in a few years if it eats all its veggies it will grow up to be like yours :)

I had a 644H a few years (leased) prior it was too big...this seems pretty good for the areas I have to work on....though a 344 was tempting...maybe next time.

Chtucker, hydro output is about 18gpm...enough for a rake auger or single stage blower...its definitely not a high flow unit but I believe you can upgrade it...

Bowtie...yes with the plow its a little longer but still only about 20' same length as a standard pickup...plow is for my roadways etc...I also have pusher the quick attaches and reduces the overall lenght about 3'...bucket is strictly for moving back piles...pretty useless to plow with...

Toby...appreciate the thanks from Sno-Way...great plow very rugged and excellent mold board height much better than others in same length...previously I had it mounted on a NH TN-75D tractor with quick attach loader....this seems much better suited.

I will post some pictures of it in action if and when we ever get any snow! ;)

Plow Hard !
  10. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

Very nice machine. I've always like the deere loaders, the J models are very sharp looking and well built.

11. Jerryjks

Jerryjks Junior Member

S-D Dave...Do you still have the 3800 or did you get rid of it ???? When ever we go over for Mexican food I check out your new stuff. Now I can check out the FG and the Loader !
  12. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Dave, ball park cost?
  13. jazak

jazak Member
    from NJ

I love those smaller wheel loaders.:nod: Merry Christmas.

Agreed on the snow. I need some $$$$$. payup payup payup

BTW if you don't mind what did that run you?
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2006
  14. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

I am looking for a piece of equipment with a blade. What we will usually do is clean off all of the curbs with a plow and then drive by with a loader with a snow box to take the snow off to the pile. I was going to use a skid steer because i think that they would be faster than using a plow truck up against curbs and islands in parking lots. Would this loader have any advantages over a skid steer as far as manuverability along curbs. I realize that the operator sits higher which is a plus but I am more curious to know if anyone thinks it may cut down on curb time enough to justify spend however much it is for the machine.
  15. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Jerry: No the 3800 is no more...to be honest....I had a large number of nagging issues with the machine and my Patience was exhausted...kudos to the dealer (awesome service) and Deere. They traded me out of the 3800 for this 244J at what I felt was a very fair deal. Loved the 3800 for some tasks but it was limited for others, this unit seems to offer similar utility to the 3800 in a smaller package and with more versatility being able to use Skid-Steer Pro attachments.

Cost: the machines are not cheap...but features quality resale etc...tend to help. My deal was somewhat special do to circumstances...so I can't speak to deal you might be able to negotiate...but list price starts about $80K then add options...mine has all the features including 20" tires with Michelin's, Return to dig and bucket/ride control HVAC Full lights, nice seat electronic controls etc....features you normally only find on the big boys.

Elmo: One way to look at this machine is that it is a Skid-Steer on steroids...but it is much more...I am not a fan of Skid-Steers, particularly around people buildings, cars etc. They have there place on the job-site but I am not a fan of the visibility, rocking back and forth and the quick turn that can end up hitting something. This machine has great visibility very little over-hang for hood and counter weight. With 4-wheel steer and articulation it turns incredibly tight. Plus it has much great lift heights, road speed and sheer weight that allows it to push bigger implements...plus you can see over the blade and or pusher on the front allowing you to get tighter to buildings curbs etc. I know the Skid-Steer crowd may get worked up about this but it is my personal feelings. Plus with this machine you can run all of your skid-steer attachments so its very versatile...this helps offset the cost.

Plow hard
  16. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

With 4-wheel steer and articulation it turns incredibly tight.

And I found that if your not careful you can work yourself into an incredibaly tight corner, a knook and cranny so to speak and have to come to a complete stop and think for a number of seconds about how your going to wiggle yourself out without the rear end whacking into something at the same time not swinging the front end into something else while your backing up. Have you had that happen yet SD-Dave??
  17. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

If you have any other pics of it in the snow and stuff could you post them? I'm sure it looks sharp in the snow.

18. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

I haven't had that happen yet...but I have yet to push snow with this unit...most of my use to date has been material handling and some dirt work landscaping...though I am sure if it is possible I will make it happen :rolleyes:

Sounds like we might have snow Tuesday nite...so I may get a chance to try it out...I will let you know.

Later and Merry Christmas to all :drinkup:

ps. Jerry nice to know you appreciate my stuff enough to make a special side trip to stop by...its a nice diversion to my business...plus they serve a valuable function in keeping us operating and damn I do love the stuff too :D ...feel free to stop by anytime....sorry to say the Mexican place is now defunct...hoping for a rebirth with someone better soon :cool: