1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

check out my new unit!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by SD-Dave, Dec 18, 2005.

1. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

I wanted a new loader for a long time. Issue was I needed decent power excellent dump height (make big piles) yet I wanted to avoid the size and expense of a huge loader 3+ yd. I rented a JD644 loader and found it to be too big too tall and too expensive, for snow removal work. All the smaller loaders Volvo 45, JD244, Cat 910 were too small and offered too low a dump height for the pile work I needed.

That being said check out what I bought...I am very happy with performance, dump height size etc. It has a dump height of nearly 16', 120HP. low cab height (less than 10' fits in barn) tight maneuvering, and minimal rear overhang for great visibility; the cab is great with HVAC, air ride and all electronic controls. Additionally the boom ext. allows you to push back piles (10’ additional) hydraulically instead of running into them or encroaching on sensitive ground. Additionally it has quick attached hydraulics so I can switch from the cab from a 2.5yd bucket to a Pro-Tech snow pusher to pallet fork. Can you say no binder chains (smashed fingers, frozen links etc.) With boom hydraulics I will be adding a rotary broom for light snow and debris clean up next spring. As you can see I am quite happy with it. Anyone else using one?? Sorry if I am bragging just really happy with the big investment and have not seen many used as of yet...and boy does it work great and at a much better cost point.

JOHN DEERE 3800 Articulated Tele-Handler See photo links

http://photos.thedieselstop.com/showphoto.php?photo=27946&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

http://photos.thedieselstop.com/showphoto.php?photo=27945&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

http://photos.thedieselstop.com/showphoto.php?photo=27944&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

SD-Dave:drinkup:

2. Snakeman

Snakeman Junior Member

Its Green instead of Yellow, but it's going to make you some Green.payup
    But it's still a Deere, and IMO, that is good. I have Deere yellow equipment too.
    Nice idea, and set-up. Enjoy the new toy.

Snake:)

Let it Snow

3. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

Good looking piece of equipment you have there. I've seen you on the dieselstop as well, and you have a nice collection of for a truck, and other equipment. I did drive that same model the other day at our local JD dealer, and I too was quite impressed, I have no desire or money to buy one, just wanted to take her for a spin, and it was impressive.

4. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

that thing looks awesome. hows it work fo digging in piles of dirt and loading trucks if you have done any yet. she looks like a handy machine.

5. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I want one!!!:eek:

How much was it?

6. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Plowfast

I had it on my farm this summer doing some different types of work. I loaded equipment, loaded road hay bales and did some general construction earth moving work. It worked well in all areas. Moving buckets full of wet clay/soil it managed well even with what would be considered a light material bucket for it (2.5yd), I also loaded aggregate and in that area too it was fine. If I were to use it daily for truck loading on heavy material and digging in earth I would move it down to a 1.75 yd bucket for safety/longevity sake. You also could not extend the boom with a full bucket under those heavy load circumstances. Otherwise I would say its 85%+ of a similar size loader. For info sake I was told the frame etc. is right out of one of Deere’s 444 loaders.

SD-Dave

7. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

DieselGeek

Thanks for the comments. Nice seeing you from the diesel stop also. I have been somewhat fortunate in life and had the opportunity to own some nice equipment and trucks. I can tell you…I take care of them and work hard for them and with them.

See you out on the road

SD-Dave

8. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Not cheap but a lot less than I was quoted for a JD444E loader and this has much more versatility. I am sold on how well it works for snow removal and with the added bonus of being much more than just a loader...the quick attach and boom extension is the bomb:D

Specifically it was less than 100K list price and cash allowed for a great discount from there...much better than the loader prices I saw.

SD-Dave

9. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

I was looking up the specs on deere's website, and was a bit surprised to see its only rated for 5800 lbs, and about 3000 at full length/height, I was a bit shocked for a machine with over 100 hp to have a low rating. But I do realize that for what you are doing, you aren't easily going to exceed that rating.

10. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Yes around 6000lbs at normal length about half at full mast...though look at the pictures it's really far out from the machine...boom height almost 18' you can't appreciate that till you see it. Reality is its plenty, of lift strenght, for a full bucket of material and to move snow is a breeze...the horsepower gives you excllent grunt and plenty of hydro flow...if all you need is a loader then its what you should buy but if you want more and with unbelievable snow ability this is the rig.

SD-Dave

11. VAhighwayman

VAhighwayman Senior Member

Nice unit...Very Nice!! Good Luck With It...:salute: