1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Check my prices for a 8 acre car dealership

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by J.R. Services, Oct 29, 2010.

1. J.R. Services

J.R. Services Senior Member

Its approximately 350ksq ft. Some obstacles, cars will be moved into one lot before storms. I was thinking $650-$700/push up to 4". Will have 2-3 plow trucks, 1-Cab loader tractor with pusher, and 1-skid steer with pusher. Thanks for the responses
  2. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

post up a pic
  3. J.R. Services

everything in red :)
  4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Just push or salt too? To push I think you're fairly priced, maybe a bit low if them moving cars turns into being a PIA. With salt I'd more than double your price. With the equipment specified it shouldn't take much longer than a couple hours.
  5. J.R. Services

thats just to plow, salt i think ill do by the lb or ton. Does anybody know a good place to bulk salt near frederick, baltimore or harrisburg areas?
  6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Def by ton/yard for that lot. Industry average is about 800 lbs per ac. I like to base it on 1 ton per 2 ac.
  7. priwi

priwi Junior Member

Make sure you understand where you can and can't push the snow, I've found car dealers to be very particular with where it's pushed. This might find their requirements will add a bunch of time. What are you thinking for snow falls over 4"?
  8. J.R. Services

over 4" to 8" is another push so on and so forth
  9. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

they will just order a new dodge plow truck for the winter and sell it next year. dont get your hopes up on the dealerships
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Big factor here.
  11. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I think your price is low. (I know, you are all wondering who took over my account)

Freely admitting I don't know your local market nor your pricing, but I notice you aren't in MI or the upper NY snow belt.

8 acres = @ 8 hours of work.

So, that's $70/hour if you do it that way, which might be ok if it was just a big empty 8 acre lot.

But you are quoting to work in a lot that is FULL OF PRISTINE BRAND NEW CARS (and probably a lot of light poles too)

No, sorry, the risk is extremely high of damaging something over the course of the season.
    Risk costs money.

I'd be thinking 1.5x to 2x what you quoted. (plus salt)
    Way to easy to work all day and be in the hole for a minor scratch.

Ain't worth working for free.
  12. eric02038

eric02038 Senior Member
    from MA

I would never plow for a car dealership or do any type of work for them. They are notorious for not paying
  13. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Wait untill you show up and none of the cars are moved, just waiting to move all the cars will take 2 hours. and once you plow that side they have to move all the cars again so you can clear the lot where they were parked, you will burn up at least 3-4 hours in idle time. Hopefully for you that lot is on the ball with moving cars but i have yet to see one that is.. I plow 3 dealers in a 6 mile radius almost every storm, i get the drive lanes open on all, then for the rest of the day i toggle back and forth between lot's while they move cars.
  14. J.R. Services

Thanks for the input. I highly doubt that they are going to get 2 new plow trucks considering that both plow trucks have been stolen the past two years and they got kind of fed up with loosing 100k a year in plow trucks.
    8 hours of work @ 70/hr is only $560, I'm about 87.50/hr, which is low, and i might bump it up a bit, but its only 3 or so miles from my house its all in one place, I dont have to run to 8 different places to make the same money and I only have to deal with one customer for that job.
    They do kep their word, last year a week before the storms the lots were pretty much empty, they had showrooms full, service bays full etc.... and it looked like a decent place to plow.
    Thanks again for the input, keep it coming.
  15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe a provision for "wait time" @ $50/hr....
  16. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I would definatley add a wait time clause to that contract. Even if they are prepared and have all the cars on one side of the lot to start with, it will take a couple hours to move them all to the other side. The last thing you want is for them to start moving cars while your still plowing, and end up eating one of them with your truck or plow. Unless you have other accounts you can plow while they shuttle cars around, I would throw a 50 to 75 dollar an hour wait clause in it and call it good.
  17. salopez

salopez Senior Member

yep, i would have a stand by time for them.

International salt out of baltimore seems to have the best price and fastest turnaround. if you need it right away you can call strawbridge out of eldersburg. depending on how much you want I can haul for you, and I always have bagged material.
  18. J.R. Services

I do have 3 other accounts within half a mile so I would have something to occupy my time, but I would definitely have a wait time clause.
    Thanks for all the responses and thanks Sal, I definitely apprieciate the offer to help and I will let you if I need some bulk salt.
    I am also considering giving a per event price. I've never actually done any of these. Do you base them off a 6" storm and cap it at 12"?
  19. salopez

salopez Senior Member

be careful with per event.... it could be 2" it could be 20", and you are getting the same ammount.

go for incremental; such as upt to4" upto 8' up to 10, and 10plus with an ice clause. or go with a seasonal price up to certian depth and then a flat rate over that. this is what I would offer.
  20. J.R. Services

do you think 3" is too close of an increament? 1-3 4-6 7-9 10-12, then an hourly charge for storms over 12" in addition to the flat rate for 12". They said they wanted to try to keep the lot open as much as possible, and if we start plowing after 1" were going to have to plow some areas twice even in just a 3" storm. Even though the 4" 8" etc works out time wise, 3" will cover my ass a little more if they're open.