1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Check grounds,I'm a dope!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by leigh, Jan 28, 2016.

1. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Learn from my mistake
    Prob -1 Starter turning over slowly,then speeds up- must be batteries,getting old,might just as well replace them,nope same issue
    2 Must be starter -replace starter, nope,a little better but not right yet
    3 Maybe alternator,storm comes,no time to change
    4 Plow for 8 hrs,take break and now new problem,tranny slips and reverse indicator blinks when shifting while raising or turning plow,low volt problem.Switch plows and same issue,not new plow.
    Day after storm crawl under truck and find broken ground strap from engine block to frame
    Replace strap,clean other grounds I found and all is good,solved all my problems.Could have saved 350$,but parts were getting old anyway.
    Got electrical problems-check your grounds!:eek:

ground.jpg

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Grounds are such a critical thing... unbelivable how many problems they cause in fact.

What the heck cause that to shear like that???

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

How old was this truck?

4. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

It looks like severe deterioration.

Don't feel bad leigh. I recently pulled a starter out of a heavy truck (+/- 100 lbs.) after I checked the relay and new batteries. Turns out the new batteries were defective. Even though they would charge to 100%, turning the engine over for 5 seconds dropped them to 65%. Duh.

5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

It was while plowing,we got up to 15" and it loops from bottom of engine then under frame and mounts to side of frame.It was falling apart from corrosion so it was only a matter of time before it broke,probably backing over a pile of snow.This was on my gmc 4500,and it sits high,don't even jack it up to work on. Glad it broke,forced the issue.

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Good catch.Well after catch.