1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

check engine light????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 1992k1500ct, Feb 11, 2010.

1. 1992k1500ct

1992k1500ct Junior Member
    from ct

i have a 1992 chevy 1500 with a 7.5 fisher. i was on the highway the other day and the check engibne light comes on. im doin 60 with the plow on the truck. it runs around 175- 180 deg. it was on for maybe 50 sec then off and another two miles down the road back on and then off. so i decode the light and it comes back as oxgyen senser and coolant senser. i toke the plow off and drove it for two days nothing. then i had the plow on yesturday and the light comes on and off when im driving on highway or back roads. whats goin on with my truck?? the collant level is good.. not runing hot...
  2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

There are two temperature sensors on that engine. One is up by the upper radiator hose, the second is by the drivers exhaust manifold. The manifold sensor is the one that feeds the gauge-the sensor by the upper rad hose feeds the computer. You can check the sensor with a ohmeter to determine if it is reading correctly.

Regarding the 02 sensor, change it first, it is a cheap part. When was the last time you did a tune up (plugs+wires)? If it's been a while or you can't remember, it would be good to do that as well.
  3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

When is the last time you replaced the fan clutch? Do you ever hear it kick in. The plow creates a lot of back pressure in front of the grill. If replacement is needed, find the heavy duty one. It would be standard on plow prep models.