1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PITCH, Jun 2, 2008.

1. PITCH

PITCH Member
    from hamburg

Got The Check Engine Light On Today 07 D-max Classic. Any Thoughts?? It Is A Steady Light. Truck Runs Fine. Tried To Shut It Off And Start It Again Won't Go Off. Only Has 16,0000 Miles On It. Service Is All Up To Date. Let Me Know If It Has Happened To Any One Else.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My 02 does that once in a while since new and then it goes away, My 07 never has though.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Could litterly be 100 different things Pitch. You'd need to scan it before even attempting to make an educated guess.

A steady light is an emission related code or codes I can tell you that much, but no way to narrow it down from there without a scan.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just curious B and B. Can you cycle the key to reset the computer? I'm just wondering because my engine light goes away after a while.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nope. Not on the GM's JD.

Only three ways to clear the ECM of stored powertrain codes (P) on a GM.

Either clear them manually with a scanner, or by disconnecting battery power for a couple minutes, or if the problem fixes itself the ECM will clear the code(s) on it's own after anywhere from 40-70 ACTUAL run cycles. Which would be 40-70 times of the engine getting up to operating temp as well as over 30MPH at least once in those 40-70 run cycles.

Sounds like you have an intermittent problem. Those ones are fun to diagnose. :D

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  6. PITCH

PITCH Member
    from hamburg

WENT TO THE DEALER EGR VALVE

7. PITCH

PITCH Member
    from hamburg

WENT TO THE DEALER SEEMS TO BE EGR