1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Check engine light is on

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Jan 26, 2008.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey guys I was in my truck yesterday and i noticed my check engine light came on? Any thoughts? It is a 04 GMC duramax. The truck has 32,600 miles on. I don't know whats going on. It runs fine, and I haven't noticed a change in power or anything. :help:

Ryan

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Just go zip over to autozone or some parts place and they will usually run the codes for free.

3. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Common culprit is an O2 sensor. Nonetheless you can take it to Autozone or the like. Better yet, gotta love having a warranty.

4. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

How warm has it been in the last 24 hrs? Did you have the truck plugged in? Sometimes when the truck is plugged in and its to warm out it will throw a check engine light. I've had it happen twice but I just hook my Predator up to it and clear the code.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

its accually been pretty cold. We've had about 2 feet of snow in the past 3 days so it has been pluged in the past week. I will run over to autozone tommorrow and get the code read to see that it is. Like I said the truck runs fine, and doesn't have any loss of power so...

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Well had the comp tested or read today at my local autozone, and here are the results.

The print out says
    " The PCM has determined that the input voltage from engine fuel temp sensor "A" is out if range."

It then says the problem could be that the temp. sensor is defective
    or is says to check the connector and wiring to the sensor.

I have no idea where to even start to begin looking for this thing. Anyone have a good site for a diagram, and anyone ever have any problems with this on there durmax? How much might this cost me? thanks

Ryan

7. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Posted there, 19 hits, no replies yet. Same screen name there as here.

9. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I took mine to the dealer today for the same thing on my 06 gasser. The check engine light would come on sperratically (sp), so once it came on today I took it right down to the dealer, left it running so the code didnt go away, and had them run the codes and they said it was an O2 sensor, which was replaced under warranty in about 25 minutes.

10. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Do you happen to know the code number by chance? Should be a PXXXX type of thing.

11. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

William B. The code is PO181 I went to diesel place and they said it might be covered under warranty for the emissions portion of it.

12. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

It is, they replaced my O2 sensor under warranty, YESTERDAY.

13. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

This is some bullsh!t. I went to my dealer today and they said that they can't cover it only because it is a 3yr. 36000 mile warrenty and it has just been a little more than three. WTF????? The part alone is 50 bucks, and then labor is another 100 to find the accuall problem, and then install the new part. I am going to go to another dealer yet today and tell them that story and see if I will have any luck there.

Ryan

14. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Go back to Deiselplace and search for " Another NSBU=stealer states NOT under warantee" , post 4 has a list of what is covered under emissions waranty.

15. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

^^^ he stated they won't cover it because it is out of year range. If you can find a sympathetic dealer, they might do it for you, but more than likely I doubt it. I'm glad all the new trucks now come w/ 5 year/100,000 mile standard.

16. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

The emission eqipment is warranteed way past the 36k , 70 80 and 100k , depending on truck

17. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

See I guess if it is a gasser it is covered for 100,000 but if it a diesel it is obly covered unitl 3 year 36,000. Kinda gay if ya ask me.

I also found out that it is the plug that goes to the block heater that is defective. I guess it needs to be recalibrated, and a new cord hooked up. Apparently there is a thermosate that is hooked to it, and that is what is throwing the code off. It is going to be about a 200+ fix. with the cord and calibration. They said they would need to run some testes to see for sure if I accually need a cord or just the calibration, or both. Right now he said your fine, and your not hurting anything with it the way it is, so I am gonna leave it until I get some extra cash flow my way.

18. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Ryan do a search on dieselplace for that code number. It's a very common problem. I've had it on mine 2 times. It has to do with the block heater. Basically with the thermostat on the plug, it won't come on til the temp is 0 or below. B.S if you ask me because I want a warm truck when I start it up. Are you planning on getting a programmer for your truck? If so that will read the codes for your truck or just go buy a cheap code reader. You can get them at any auto parts store.

Actually here is the search results. Enjoy the reading.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3948637

19. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Thanks Will I really appreciate it, but the link says sorry no matches could be found. I will search there in a few minutes.

20. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

You live near one of the best Dmax mechanics around , Merchant Automotive in Holland, go see Eric.