1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Check Engine light came on...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by martyman, Dec 8, 2008.

1. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I was plowing some residential properties the other day. Not much snow, maybe 2 inches of light stuff and I wasn't working my jeep very hard. The jeep threw out a P 0700 code and when I took it to the tranny shop the guy said it also said a reverse code showed up. This year I really loaded the back area with salt for traction and I'm wondering if I overloaded it? Maybe 200lbs of salt... I also have a customer that 15 minutes before the engine light went on has a 45 degree downsloped driveway that I need to back up out of that could have caused it to trip the sensor?. I did it really slowly and the whole day was very mellow without putting any strain on the transmission...I was quoted $2500 if it breaks down and a few days to rebuild it.
  2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Hard saying with all the computer crap in today's vehicles. Could have been a freak error report or a legit code. I can't keep up with all the engine warnings in my vehicles. I make sure they are not leaking anything, keep fluids changed, and get the codes fixed as possible. Problem with the new vehicles is it is like the boy that cried wolf. After awhile you start blowing off the codes. Gee I wonder why I have little sympathy for the auto makers?
  3. mudman

mudman Junior Member

The check engine light in my 98 Ram comes on about once a month and then goes out a day or two later. I don't know what causes it but it's been doing it for 6 or 7 years now and no problem yet.
  4. martyman

martyman Senior Member

Thanks for that info...I'm less stressed now :dizzy:

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

i like it when you still have payments lol. makes you want a new one lol
  6. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Theres a reason they call it an idiot light. It was on every time I drove my 88 chev.
  7. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

The p0700 is just a code stating the tcm requested the MIL light to come on. Usually on chryslers the TCM cant turn the MIL on directly, it tells the pcm to signal it to turn it on. The 700 is just telling the tech there is a DTC in the TCM memory. So the code the tech pulled from the TCM is the one you should be worried about. Possibly a slip code, who knows, depends what the code is.. Could be a lot of things.
  8. tinymitymo

tinymitymo Member

9. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

The P0700 the technician found in the powertrain control module (engine computer) is just a notification code. The transmission control module(TCM) cant directly turn on the check engine light to warn the driver of a malfunction, so the tcm communicates to the engine computer that there is a malfunction and the code that is set in the PCM is the P0700. Its just there so that tech doesnt get confused, when he sees this code and investigates he'll relaize there is another code to be found in the TCM's memory, in which the case is for some sort of reverse malfunction..

PCM- Powertrain control module, brains of the engine
    TCM- Transmission control module, obvious
    MIL- malfunction indicator lamp, idiot light, check engine light, service engine soon light
    DTC- diagnostic trouble code

Hope this clears it up a bit.. The p0700 is just a code to be ignored after the root problem is corrected.
  10. martyman

martyman Senior Member

The other code had something to do with reverse...I think I might have revved it in neutral and then into reverse....last snow fall my tranny shifted perfectly the whole run...If I have to spend the money I have a nice shop close to my home....just crossing my fingers it will last.
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Do you have the other code the mechanic came up with?
  12. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I don't know what I did but it went out today when I drove my daughter around....strange. Found one of my rear shocks falling off.