1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Check engine light blinking

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ChevyHDkid45, Oct 10, 2010.

1. ChevyHDkid45

ChevyHDkid45 Member

I have a 2002 chevy 2500hd with the 6.0 when i go through a car was about halfway through the engine light starts blinking. I dont have any engine lights doing regular driving. It happened to me once in a heavy heavy down poor a couple months ago. Once i am out of the wash the engine lights stops no weird idling or anything during the blinking. Has anyone ever had this happen or know why its doing it and what is a solution to the problem.. Please let me know it would be great.

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Ck the code but I bet ur knock sensor is swimming!

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

One of your engine's coilpacks is getting wet and shorting out.

4. brad96z28

Um I think He would feel it if he had a coil messing up. Single coils not coil pack on a 6.0

5. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

My 2002 does it on the highway over 60 MPH for 4 years - and truck runs fine - was told could be bad ground - coils all checked out fine - so I live with it ... GM says flashing check engine light means "Engine Misfire"

it ends up leaving the check engine light on afterward so at inspection sticker time, I just have auto zone shut it off and drive around town (not highway) for a few weeks and the truck passes inspection

a half ass way to deal with it - but it works ...

6. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

Flashing engine light means damange to the cat. converter is happening. 99% of the time it is due to an engine miss. Any good scanner should be able to tell you what cylinder is missing. If it only misses when it is raining try squirting the wires and coils with water and look for the sparks. Hope this helps

7. mayhem

from Peru MA

My bad, thought it had individual coilpacks. Wife's Audi V-6 does and had this same symptom, dealer replaced under recall.

8. ChevyHDkid45

ChevyHDkid45 Member

I dont understand why it just randomly starts happening... I have been going through the same carwash for a long time. it never did it before in rain sleet or snow. Any recomendations on just fixing the problem? should i to a mechanic or is it somthing i can try to diagnose by myself?

9. brad96z28

Like said many times get it scanned and we can help other wise this is going to be another 4 page it could be it might be it maybe. If u want 400 guesses please continue Get it scanned and we can let u know what to do from there. At this point maybe u should take it to someone that knows where to begin.:cry:

10. Cosmic Charlie

Like I said

Mine does it on the highway ONLY - over 2300 rpms (+-) - been told it's a bad ground somewhere - no one can find my problem - over 4 years with no other issues - yours may be a different problem ...

my truck runs fine except on the highway it flashes ... but runs fine --- for 4 years

chase it if you want ---

lots of things to chase ........................................................

put your truck in park and rev the engine to 2500 rpms for a few minutes, and see if it does it (flashes) like mine - even with that repeatability, no mechanics can figure mine out ... my coils packs checked out ok even with the light flashing -- go figure

and then let me know ...

11. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Mine does the same thing, throws the code misfire mult cyl. I have tried plugs, wires, and throttle body cleaning, and injector service and it still does it. Runs mint, dont feel any loss of power. I am living with it too.

12. mayhem

from Peru MA

FYI, you can get the codes read for free at most auto parts stores. Get the code and then post them back here.

13. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I had that on mine they said the timing chain had a little play in it and reprogramed something in the computer and no eninge light so far

14. brad96z28

Very common. Includes doing ckp relearn procedure.

15. brad96z28

Does urs only do it when wet like his I guess not?

16. brad96z28

I will fix it ! Have not had one yet I could not.

17. deere615

yeah thats what I heard but I was wondering if that meanes my timing chain is getting bad?

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the tuneup is good, the EGR is working correctly (if equipped) then a crank re-learn will 95% of the time fix a STEADY STATE highway speed misfire detection. I consider a crank re-learn as a good preventative maintenance procedure every few years as the engine ages....too bad more persons don't. Would save customers much greif and money chasing ghosts that aren't there. I'm sure you'd agree.

I generally do them about every 30K or so during a regularly scheduled PM. Takes a whole 2 minutes anyway.

19. Cosmic Charlie

Crank Relearn

Too bad you can't do mine, or can you ?

I would pay you if you could ....

I'm at zip 01985

20. deere615

A whole 2 minutes that I got charged a whole $300 for??