1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Check engine light 02

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 99zr2, Oct 18, 2007.

1. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

The question I have is when I am going up a on ramp or pulling a long hill at around 60mph for even a short period of time the (check engine light) comes on. Nothing happens as far as the truck running funny. I dont notice any smoke coming from the tailpipe, It doesn't shift funny nothing.:gunsfiring:

What pops into my mind is that it could be an o2 sensor getting some carbon on it from the constant acceleration. Mostly I don't go over 2500 or 3000 rpm at any given time. So I think that it is just carbon build up.

The light goes off after you turn off and shut off the motor about two or three times.

Thanks in advance.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Could be many different things..you need to get a scanner on it first to see what general area the problem lies in. By your initial description though, it sounds like a lean condition, a misfire condition or a converter problem.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Take it to a parts store with the check engine light on. Most will scan it for free. Get the code and go to the library and look up the code in a professional repair manual. They even have picture of a lot of the parts involved. The stores check it for free in the hope you will buy the parts from them.

4. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Ok thanks guys. Good place to start.

B&B I can see the catylitic solution and the misfire that I know it don't have but why the lean condition? Could you explain.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

First, you can have a misfire and not be able to feel it in the truck,..believe me, the ECM is way more smart than your butt at picking up a misfire (especially during acceleration or under a heavy load) so don't rule that out until you first scan the truck.

A lean condition may or may not cause a misfire or misfire code to come up but if it is running lean during acceleration, the ECM will know it (which of course is why the MIL light is coming on). You didn't say which truck we're dealing with here but a lean condition can be caused by many things such as:

Dirty mass air sensor sending the wrong info to the ECM. (very common)
    Weak fuel pressure (also very common)
    Vacuum leak (intake gaskets, throttle body, or PCV)
    One or more faulty injetors
    Or as you said, a defective O2 sensor.

As you can see, there are many possibilities here, which is why you want to scan it first to help narrow it down first before buying parts.

6. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Ok thanks for the explanation. I will try to make the truck get the code agin and scan it.

Thanks for the help so far.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The MIL doesn't have to be on to scan it...if the MIL stays on for more than one, key on/key off cycle, the ECM will still have the code stored in it as a "history code".

8. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

For how long B&B, it happened last saturday.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the ECM stored the code, (which in your case it probably has) it will remain in the ECM for 40 key on/key off warm up cycles as a "history" code, even if the light never comes back on.

10. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

I know it is kinda late for this but I finaly got one of my brothers friends to come over with a scanner yesterday. He found that the check engine light was comeing on from a dirty mass air flow sensor.

Thanx for the thoughts everyone.

11. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

You can clean up the MAF with some spray carb cleaner... usually is enough to get you back up and running without buying a new one!!!
    Hope this helps,
    Al

12. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

99ZR2,
    I'm kinda a newbe here and have seen the wonderground link at the bottom of your posts.... wondering how to do this? I've looked thru the user CP and am not what to do.... any help would be great.
    Thanx, Al

13. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Junior Member
    from Mass

MAF problem

Hey, i got the same truck as you, and i recently got the same code on mine, the best thing to do is take it apart and clean it, but id recomend MAF cleaner over carb cleaner, the resistors inside the sensor are very sensitive( just touching them can damage them, and a maf for that truck goes for about $350). also the problem may be coming because of a K&N air filter, if you have one, when you clean it make sure you dont put to much oil on it and let it dry for the right amount of time, or the oil will suck through the intake and damage the MAF, and some dealers wont warrenty the MAF if you have a K&N. I have one question for you 99zr2, i saw you talk about the homesteader plow on one of your old posts. did you just order the plow for the 99 s-10 and did it mount up ok or did you have to do some custom mods to it?

14. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Chrisbob, I know what you mean about beeing alot of $. I have priced one before. I am going to get some of the m.a.f. cleaner this weekend. No k&n on my truck and I have heard of that before. A couple guys I know from a near by dragstrip have had that problem.
    As far as the homesteader question I bought the plow and had it installed at the same dealer. the only mod they did was to flip the front mount 90 degrees and drill new holes. The reason for this was being a zr2 with the stock higher ride height it needed to drop. Also it made it so the recivers cleared the valiance. Do a search and look for the posts from me. A couple of them have some good pics of the frame on my old truck.

Albert, click the link on the bottom of the weather box in my sig. It will take you to the web site and you can find the info there on how to do it. Kinda a P.I.T.A. but cool none the less.

15. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Junior Member
    from Mass

Thanks for the info about the plow, the first time i talked to the dealer the parts guy said it wouldnt fit, i didnt want to get into buyin a brand new plow without knowing how much custom work i would have to do, but just truning the bracket and drilling holes sounds easy enough, i thought i was going to have to fabricate new brakets

16. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Junior Member
    from Mass

I got one more question for ya, how did your exention for the ram work? did it halp going over rises and back dragging?